What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone ever cross the "pond" in an RV?

aarvig

Well Known Member
If so, which route did you take and what were your experiences? What kind of planning and prep went into your trip? What did you carry for emergency/survival equipment or gear?
I saw an article in the EAA magazine on crossing the Atlantic and was intrigued by it. It looks very challenging but would be fun as well....
if you've crossed and have some photos please post away. I'm interested in seeing the pics.

I've been thinking about this for several years now (even before the RV). If/when you decide to go, let me know - I might be interested in a two-ship.

greg

Absolutely!

I've been thinking about this for several years now (even before the RV). If/when you decide to go, let me know - I might be interested in a two-ship.

greg

It would be a few years out if I were to attempt it. But it would much more "safe" and fun doing it with someone else. Let's stay in touch.

It would be a few years out if I were to attempt it. But it would much more "safe" and fun doing it with someone else. Let's stay in touch.

Make that three. Flying home to Scotland would be a great trip.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

I will

Great thread Aaron! Get the group organized. There is a respectable member on this board who is making (or already has) the hardware and wants to be first. I am just not sure who he is :D may be he reads the thread... Anyway let's aim at 2017.

Count me in for the Northern route.

I've enough family members in Scotland to put the group up for a few days:)

The pond

i sold my RV 7A to a person in Adelaide, Australia. Jon Johansen ferried it over the Pacific. I think his longest over water was about 13 hours, from the mainland to Hawaii. He was very well prepared. He is a very easy person to talk to and would likely help you with preparation. I can get you an email address for him if you wish.

That would be awesome!

i sold my RV 7A to a person in Adelaide, Australia. Jon Johansen ferried it over the Pacific. I think his longest over water was about 13 hours, from the mainland to Hawaii. He was very well prepared. He is a very easy person to talk to and would likely help you with preparation. I can get you an email address for him if you wish.

Shoot me an email via PM

C-GOJU

Mike ? crossed the North Atlantic and back after he built his RV-7A (subsequently converted to an RV-7) about 6 or 7 years ago. He sold the airplane about three years ago (advertised here). When I spoke to him, I asked him why and he told me that he just wanted to do it. He crossed using the Blue Spuce route from CYYR (Goose Bay, NF) across the tip of Greenland to BIKF (Keflavik, Iceland) and then on into Scotland. Same route on the return. I do not know what kind of survival gear he took, but my personal opinion is that this is crazy. Even with a bulky survival suit, if you have to ditch into the North Atlantic you will be dead in a short period of time from hypothermia - unless you are lucky enough to put it down right next to a ship. Even then, upside down first, and then what? fwiw

Best regards,

along those lines...but farther south...and less wet...

...my RV9 ought to be finished in summer...i have a hankering to take it to panama and back sometime before i am too old. anyone else interested in that particular jaunt? more airplanes make for more safe AND more fun! don olandese, south texas

Keep me in mind too... Flying across the Atlantic has always been in the back of my mind.

I am in

Sometime around 2013? :D

...my RV9 ought to be finished in summer...i have a hankering to take it to panama and back sometime before i am too old. anyone else interested in that particular jaunt? more airplanes make for more safe AND more fun! don olandese, south texas

Fly it to Costa Rica ;)

2013 ought to not be too late -

Sometime around 2013? :D

...for my fifth or sixth trip! but i will be happy to have company on any and all of them. before this dream materializes i'll do a serious and prolonged survey of other pilots interested also, so watch for it starting sometime in 2011. thx! don olandese

Me too...

I'll be flying my -10 from California to Ireland when its done - was keeping the plan to myself 'till now for fear of ridicule! I grew up 5 miles from Dublin airport so this has been part of the dream for me since the first rivet...

Funny...

...that I'm not even close to the only one who looked at that Sport Pilot article and said "hey, my airplane could do this." Just last weekend I was reading it, showed it to my wife, and said exactly those words. Her reply: "maybe it can, but you're not."

Back