What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Fast is your RV-10?

tacoboy

What kind of fuel burn/altitude/TAS are you getting in your RV-10 typically?

What factors, if any, make a difference?

How about 12,500, 161 knots, 12.2 rich, have not gotten to testing LOP. Was testing yesterday for 5 minutes at 14,000, lop 157, 10.8. But would not vouch for that one since it was a very short test.........BTW, pulse Ox at 82.....that is what I was testing.......

Before believing any numbers..... and I had this problem recently, be sure that your static is correct and do a GPS GS box to verify.

Our initial readings were -9 knots..... I thought we had a slug!

Small mod to static.... I had the fastest -10 with a +6 knot error.

We are now about right. We get 160-164 knots at 40LPH and a bit less when fully loaded.

DB:cool:

speeds

After we raised the ailerons slightly we had a increase of speed to now regulary 170-174 Knots Tas at 8500ft Verified. Rich of peak and 48lt an hour.

Friends have also raised there ailerons slightly and had the increase. Having said that these are the standard Vans numbers, so our plane is nothing special.:)

Chris VH-ICY

RV 10 Performance

Altitude 8000'. MP 21". RPM 2300. Power 59%. Fuel flow 9.5-10 gal. LOP 25 degrees. 155 kts. Car Gas-Premium.

I have been burning 13.5 GPH at 10,000 going 180 kts.

It doesnt seem to vary much if I dial in 13.5 and set 2450.

Pete

raising ailerons

After we raised the ailerons slightly we had a increase of speed to now regulary 170-174 Knots Tas at 8500ft Verified. Rich of peak and 48lt an hour.

Friends have also raised there ailerons slightly and had the increase. Having said that these are the standard Vans numbers, so our plane is nothing special.:)

Chris VH-ICY

How much were the ailerons raised? some measure of degrees? some number of trailing edge thicknesses? other?

Bevan

If anything like ours it was so they ran flush with the tips and flaps.

Dragging ailerons are like a speed brake!

DB:cool:

Speed vs 100LL/Premium

I used 100 LL only till I was totally comfortable with the RV 10. I use Premium only in the left tank and 100 LL in the right.
I live in Missouri and my understanding is that alcohol is illegal in Premium in this state. (Most people I know use premium only for home use such as chain saws etc for that reason.)
In any event I went to straight and level at 60% power or so and would switch tanks to see the effect at first. The only difference was a slight rise in EGT's (about 5-10F) with no change in speed or CHT's. The performance seems to be the same to me.
Daytime temps here are routinely around 90 F and I usually shoot for best economy at about 60 % power. I figure I get over 17 mpg at 170+ mph, on car gas. Beats my pickup truck and a lot more fun.

Back