What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marker Beacon Antenna

dekky111

Well Known Member
Anyone have experience with using 40" of stripped RG400 coax as their marker beacon antenna? Dan C. used it and was on his website...looks too simple to work well. Feedback?

Jack
N811AK
RV7A
Last 843 items. :eek:

I installed my antenna as described 9 years ago and 1550 hours of no problem operation.
Dick Martin
RV8 N233M
the fast one

Didn't realise people still used marker beacons :confused:

All our approaches use DME or an NDB as the final fix.

Marker frequencies are being used as runway incursion protection beacons on a trial basis. As you approach a hold, it warns you, if you pass it without permission, it really warns you ! Hopefully they don't integrate it with the ACARS to print the violation :eek:

Put mine in the cowl

Shorter cable run, don't have to get it through the spar and it works just as well.

Just make sure you put the joint on the oil door side because when you forget to reconnect it its very annoying to have to take your upper cowl off again...DOH!

Frank 7a

Frank - How do you have the cable run?

Is it out the top of the firewall so you can get at it from the Oil door?

Great idea for this.

Last edited:
Yup..works perfectly

Ran the cable out to my wingtip, stripped the external shielding (leaving the center conductor insulation intact) for the last 40", then ran it fore/aft and laid a few pieces of fabric and epoxy over it (like bandaids). Well, actually I added a bulkhead BNC connector in the last outboard rib so I could remove the wingtips if necessary.
Len

Shorter cable run, don't have to get it through the spar and it works just as well.

Just make sure you put the joint on the oil door side because when you forget to reconnect it its very annoying to have to take your upper cowl off again...DOH!

Frank 7a

Frank,
Do you have an pics of this. I like this idea. I assume you had to bend the 40" length center conductor some. I know this de-tunes the antenna somewhat. But, for the marker beacon, I doubt if it matters much. I also plan to put my glideslope antenna in the cowling. I think this one needs to be 17". Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Didn't realise people still used marker beacons :confused:

All our approaches use DME or an NDB as the final fix.

Marker frequencies are being used as runway incursion protection beacons on a trial basis. As you approach a hold, it warns you, if you pass it without permission, it really warns you ! Hopefully they don't integrate it with the ACARS to print the violation :eek:

I have to agree with Mike. With the FAA fast approving RNP approaches most large airports LAX, LAS, PHL, DEN to name a few only use marker beacons for CATIII 700RVR approaches at the inner marker, or Converging/PRM approaches like PHL converging ILS 9R for the MM. Most all ILS approaches in the near future will use DME or RNAV to fix position as the US airspace transitions to RNP/Area navigation. Unless you have a special use for the equpt or you plan on shooting very low visibility approaches you might be installing a boat anchor..

Anyone have experience with using 40" of stripped RG400 coax as their marker beacon antenna? Dan C. used it and was on his website...looks too simple to work well. Feedback?

Jack
N811AK
RV7A
Last 843 items. :eek:

Bumping this thread to ask a question on this topic. The OP mentioned RG400 as the coax to use for this purpose. Is there a coax that works as well but is not as expensive as the RG400? I read on anther post that someone used a smaller type coax to save weight.

Did anyone use coax that is smaller and cheaper than RG400 with success?

would that be Andrews Heliax Superflexible Cable FSJ1-50A ?
Somewhere around here it was mentioned as being superior and cheaper at the same time...;)

RG-58 works just fine, lighter, cheaper. The loss difference in our tiny airplanes is trivial. Material concerns don't even bump the needle if you refrain from tight bend radii.

Don't put the antenna in the cowl. That area is an electrical/RF h**l. That should be obvious, but I tried it anyway, and sure enough noise leaked into the intercom. Who knows how much degradation occurred to MBR performance that I couldn't perceive.

John Siebold

RG-58 works just fine, lighter, cheaper. The loss difference in our tiny airplanes is trivial. Material concerns don't even bump the needle if you refrain from tight bend radii.

Don't put the antenna in the cowl. That area is an electrical/RF h**l. That should be obvious, but I tried it anyway, and sure enough noise leaked into the intercom. Who knows how much degradation occurred to MBR performance that I couldn't perceive.

John Siebold

Now that's interesting, because I asked about this exact location week ago or so, and virtually all the responses were (for those that did it) that they reported no problems at all.

Back