What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Balance

StressedOut

Well Known Member
How critical is the balance of a control surface? If I have a slight bit of extra mass in the elevator (let's say about 2 ounces more along the rear spar), how critical is that for flutter? Is it sufficient to get a neutral balance by trimming the counterbalance weights in the horn as required to achieve this condition, or are there other considerations?

From what I have been told by VANs, you want to get your elevator as balanced as you can and this ought to be done individually not connected together. I balanced mine in such way that it would not move in all its travel range and it was done individually. Now, if you are planning on painting prior to flying, you may want to leave it as heavy on the trailing side as you can. Paint will add weight so much that you will need to add weight to the horn.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
From what I have been told by VANs, you want to get your elevator as balanced as you can and this ought to be done individually not connected together. I balanced mine in such way that it would not move in all its travel range and it was done individually. Now, if you are planning on painting prior to flying, you may want to leave it as heavy on the trailing side as you can. Paint will add weight so much that you will need to add weight to the horn.

Hope this helps.

I would re balance after painting instead of guesstimating. That's if you are planning on flying before painting.

Back