What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 vs RV-6

I am looking at purchasing an RV4 or RV6. On average how do the payloads compare? I know it will vary based on how it is equipped.
Thanks

Big difference in baggage capacity and physicaly where to put it. The 4 is very limited compared to the 6 when it comes to traveling especially with a passenger.
My girlfriend and I took a trip to Montana this year. 100lbs of baggage, no sweat. CG is spot on and performance is only slightly reduced with my IO360 and HartZell C/s up front.

Britt

I have a 4 and a 6 based just up the road from you, KFFC. Give me a call or come by and we can discuss the differences. 770-639-6900

RV 4 vs RV 6

Thanks for the reply Tommy. I appreciate the offer. I may be giving you a call to come look at your 4 and 6, that would be great to see them side by side. I am sure your busy like me before Christmas, so I will check with you after Christmas. If that works for you?

Thanks
Britt

The -6 is a reasonably good 2 person plus bags cross country aircraft. IMO, the big compromise is the right hand throttle. That's just wrong in a stick flown aircraft. ;-)

The -4 is more of a pilot's aircraft with centerline seating, but cabin space is limited, particularly for the passenger. Also, the baggage space is small and is far enough aft that if you have a passenger of any size, the baggage is very limited. If you carry a passenger, fuel can be limited because of the gross weight limitation. The thing I always notice when I sit in a friend's -4 is how close the instrument panel is.

Passenger?

Britt, no one has yet addressed the passenger issue. My wife has flown in the back of a -4 with me and also in another friend's -8.

Her take? "I'm NOT going to sit in that hole back there."

If you have a S.O. , she needs to be happy on trips back there. My wife loved our -6 and was also the one who suggested getting a -10:)

Be sure they're happy, or it will be a tough row to hoe. As a Southerner, you must have heard the wise old sage, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy":)

Best,

So what is the problem with the right hand throttle in the 6?

I've got 500 hrs with the stick in my left hand. Switching would feel really weird.

John Morgan

So what is the problem with the right hand throttle in the 6?

I've got 500 hrs with the stick in my left hand. Switching would feel really weird.

John Morgan

It's just a joke. Real airplanes are tandem, stick, and tailwheel. :)
( and have four wings and or machine guns)

The -6 is a reasonably good 2 person plus bags cross country aircraft. IMO, the big compromise is the right hand throttle. That's just wrong in a stick flown aircraft. ;-)

The -4 is more of a pilot's aircraft with centerline seating, but cabin space is limited, particularly for the passenger. Also, the baggage space is small and is far enough aft that if you have a passenger of any size, the baggage is very limited. If you carry a passenger, fuel can be limited because of the gross weight limitation. The thing I always notice when I sit in a friend's -4 is how close the instrument panel is.

Having flown centre line seating piston, turboprop and jet as well as side by side seating with centre throttle in both piston and jet, I can say that it really does not matter which hand does the stick and which does the throttle. Does it feel weird driving a stick shift car with the wheel in the left hand and gear stick in the right? ;)

If it really bothers you to hold the stick in the left hand in a side by side aircraft, simply fly from the right hand seat! ;)

Cheers,

Chris

I did right hand throttle for 33 years. Last summer I got checked out in a Cub. There was never a hint of a problem.......... but, I was quite distracted by all of the other quirks of the cub to complain about......... like leg room, and heal brakes etc etc.

Britt, no one has yet addressed the passenger issue. My wife has flown in the back of a -4 with me and also in another friend's -8.

Her take? "I'm NOT going to sit in that hole back there."

If you have a S.O. , she needs to be happy on trips back there. My wife loved our -6 and was also the one who suggested getting a -10:)

Be sure they're happy, or it will be a tough row to hoe. As a Southerner, you must have heard the wise old sage, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy":)

Best,

I have to agree with Pierre. If your going to do any xc with your SO, she won't be happy in the back of a 4. I'm 5'11 & have flown in the back, you can't see a thing.

My wife would never want to fly on any xc if she's going to sit in the back.
She wants to be involved.

she won't be happy in the back of a 4. I'm 5'11 & have flown in the back, you can't see a thing.
Speak for you wife only, mine loves our RV-4 and enjoys riding back there just fine, 5'3" 118lbs and not interested in flying the plane. However I have friends that are 6'+ & 200+lbs who also like the ride and the view from the back of the -4 even on long trips. YMMV you just have to check it out for yourself and for your wife's self. I have rode in the back too and I have to disagree, the view is good in my opinion.

Speak for you wife only, mine loves our RV-4 and enjoys riding back there just fine, 5'3" 118lbs and not interested in flying the plane. However I have friends that are 6'+ & 200+lbs who also like the ride and the view from the back of the -4 even on long trips. YMMV you just have to check it out for yourself and for your wife's self. I have rode in the back too and I have to disagree, the view is good in my opinion.

You're correct. YMMV.
You really should try out both models and decide for yourself.
My wife happens to like being involved in the flight & it's more enjoyable for us to be side by side.
Personally, I probably would prefer the centerline flight of a 4 or 8.

..........My wife would never want to fly on any xc if she's going to sit in the back.
She wants to be involved.

Mine like to be "involved" by sometimes holding my hand, a peck on the cheek...and...oh well:)

As far as left hand/right hand throttle, I often do both in a single day, like yesterday when I flew my left throttle Air Tractor, then later did a short hop in my "right hand throttle" -10.

I learned to drive in Rhodesia with right hand drive/left hand shift. My buddy from South Africa was just here and drove from Savannah to Americus Georgia in just the opposite driving style from over there...adapted "on-the-fly."

Ozzies visit here often and just do it:)

It's really no big deal guys.

Best,

Back