What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shell Knob

N24YW

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone was has been to Shell Knob Mo. Just wondering what the airport was like and the people around the area were like. Might be considering a purchasing a summer get away place thier. It would be a short hop in a RV-6 to get their.

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa
RV-6 350 hours

I have a cabin near Cassville, just down the road from Shell Knob. There is a grass strip at nearby Turkey Mountain that is pretty nice. The properties at Turkey Mtn are kind of isolated, so you probably would be happier at that location than landing there and driving to Shell Knob. Cassville is a pretty nice airport, east west and 3000', permanent cross wind, but pretty easy for an RV. They let you park an airport car for no fee, at your risk, but the drive is a little further to Shell Knob. Springfield is the nearest big airport and a delight to fly thru. They are always very helpful.
That whole part of the lake is the best in Missouri IMHO. We live north and bypass Lake of the Ozarks to get there. Tablerock lake is usually clear, great water skiing, fishing, boating. It's a Corp lake so more controlled, but not heavy handed and good for the water quality. Make sure your buy includes a dock if you want a boat, as getting Corp permission for a new dock is basically very hard to do. That end of the lake is a great way to spend a weekend with the family. The other end of the Lake near Branson is much more developed, with more off the water activities.

49clipper

A friend and I landed at Shell Knob several years ago. My friend was looking for a house on a strip in that part of the country. We both did and still do live at an private airpark but the wanted another one down there in SW Mo. It turned out to be a very nice place and we met a gentleman there who incidently was building a RV, 6 I believe. he gave us a tour. Great place but real out the way and kind of expensive for my tastes.

I used to own a cabin in the Shell Knob area. Turkey Mountain is one of the nicest grass strips I have ever used. Nice people, funky little golf course on the airport property. Table Rock Lake, in that area is wonderful. I agree with MasterPlumber on all of his comments. I don't live in the midwest any more, but would definitely get a place in that area if I did.

Great area of a great lake! We have had a place in Shell Knob for 7 years and will likely keep it forever. Just finished my RV this fall. <2 hours from McKinney, TX by RV (6.5 by car). Turkey Mountain is a nice grass strip (4000'). I think it is $200 per year to help offset mowing cost and you can leave a car there. I also park at Aurora, MO (2H2) sometimes but it is 40 minutes North. Just depends on where you find a house. There is a new fly-in development a couple of miles from me if you want to spend a lot of money.

Andy

Back