What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comfort for tall people?

AndyRV7

Well Known Member
Hi,

I got to sit in a very nice RV9A a little while back and at first I felt happy that I fit. But now that I've had some time to think about it, I am a little worried that I don't really fit ...at least not for the type of x-country I hope to be able to do (several hours at a clip).

I am 6'2.5" to be exact. I am thin, so width is not my concern. But I have about a 35" inseam. I am all arms and legs. I was able to get my head under the slider he had on his plane, and my knees didn't bang the dash (about 1" clearance with my feet on the pedals). He also had about an inch of extra switch panel below his dash. so I may get a little margin there. But I feel like I was a little cramped in the legroom area. Like when I get to about an hour or two out and I want to stretch, I have no place to go.

There was one shim under the seatpad itself, so I may be able to get a little more headroom, but I don't think that is going to help in the legroom area.

Does anyone have any real-world opinions (if you happen to be as lanky as I am?)??

Thanks. Andy

You'll be fine

Andy,
I'm 6'5 215, built and fly a RV-7A. My son is 6'7 and slim. He's flown the -7A from Des Moines to Vegas. I've been to San Antonio. Build the rudder/brake pedals as far forward as possible for leg room and manage seat thickness for head room.

You'll bump knees with whomever is in the plane with you but if you didn't like them you wouldn't let them fly with you :)

Doug
Riveting the tailcone of a -10 together

My hubby is 6 ft with a 34" inseam. I think if you get the Oregon Aero seat cushion and skip the wedge under the seat bottom, you'll be fine. We have carpet and about 1" of high density foam under our seat bottoms. I have the Van's seat cushions. They aren't bad, but Oregon Aero's are thinner, with better comfort, and may afford you a little more headroom. Also, sitting a little lower into the seat will atomatically move you back and you'll gain some leg room.

Roberta

are we twins?

I am the same size, inseam etc and 210Lbs and fit in my RV 7a perfectly. That?s the beauty of building your own plane. I used a different panel and never knock my knees and good head room. The rudder pedals are all the way forward and is posing a little problem when my wife wants to fly.

Good Luck in your decision.

Don't forget, you don't need to use the
rudder pedals when in cruise. I don't
have as long an inseam, but find I can
lift the pedals up out of the way to stretch
my legs on a long x-country.
Tom

I'm 74.5 inches also, wear 35/35 pants and weigh 195#. I had a 7A and found it tight but do-able. You take your shoes off and put your feet under the pedals in flight, and it works ok. Landings and takeoffs make you feel like a spider, but if you are like me, that is not the first time.
I fly a 10 now and have tons of room. Having flown both now, if you just have a 2 person need, I would put up with the snugness and stay with the smaller two seater. I haven't flown the 9, but the 7 is more fun to fly than the 10.

I'm 6'3 w/ 34 inch inseam, and I don't find legroom to be a problem at all in my 6.

One important factor is the position of the rudder pedals. The pedal position called out on the 6 leaves several inches between the pedals and the firewall, allowing you to move the pedals forward a couple of inches and still have clearance at the firewall. Two inches makes a world of difference.

This is all great feedback!! Thanks everyone.

I think the cushions were the Van's and he had a fresh box of some nice leather ones that just came to the hanger. I think we talked about his pedals being all the way forward, so no gain there, but if you can truly get your feet under the pedals, or anywhere past or to the side of them, I think that would serve the purpose. I too like to fly barefoot. I can never feel the pedals with sneaks on, so that might also be a little help.

I tried to sit in his plane the whole time he was answering my questions, which had to be close to an hour. I guess I am going to have to turn the heat back up in my search and try to find a ride before too long.

Thanks again for the support!!

Andy

Unless you really have your heart set on the side-by-side seating, you should consider an 8. ton's of room there. They even offer a tall pilot option.

haha ...that is the only thing I am sure of. The side-by-side just seems so much more social!!

Funny

There is a lovely young lady I know that wanted a ride in the 7a and she is not only 6'3" she had pretty wide hips...I was curious if she would actually fit...

Apart from feeling somewhat intimidated (I'm 5'8") I can say that she looked pretty comfortable...She had her feet underneath the rudder pedals but mine are in the mid position and her seat back was in the middle position also.

Ya sure we knocked elbows but she really did fit.

Frank

I'm 6'4", 215 with 34" inseam. Other than knocking knees with whoever is in the right seat, no problems. Cozy is fine, cramped is not. It is cozy.

Bob Kelly

Back