What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powered tow bar

Masterplumber

I'm having trouble pushing my RV 10 in and out of the hangar. Anybody got any experience with these and one they think is particularly better than the rest? I've seen one with a single wheel and it looks like it might be a bit less stable to manage.

this what you're looking for

Our flying club purchased one of these.

tug

We needed something that was user friendly. Works well, even on the ice.

single wheel not an issue

Masterplumber said:
I'm having trouble pushing my RV 10 in and out of the hangar. Anybody got any experience with these and one they think is particularly better than the rest? I've seen one with a single wheel and it looks like it might be a bit less stable to manage.

I have a single wheel, 4.5 HP unit from powertow (I think). Had it for several years.
I use it to move my 210 in and out of the hangar on my grass strip. Its uphill coming out and I'd be lost without the unit.

It has worked extremely well. The stability is not an issue once you lock the fork onto the nose wheel. I can move the airplane one handed. Usually starts on one pull.

YMMV

Years ago Flying Physician mag had an article about a tow bar powered with a 12 volt (I think) cordless drill. It was cheap and would do several in and outs on one charge for a good sized single. Perhaps you could write them and get a reprint. Bill

This is what I use:

My neighbor has a -7A and pulls/pushes it in and out of his hangar with small lawn tractor as well. He uses a towbar connected to the front wheel though. I'm sure that would work great with your -10.

BTW, I paid $50 for my "tug" and $45.85 + S&H for the deluxe Cessna towbar from Aircraft Spruce. In other words, I paid more for my towbar than I did my "tug".

power tow

Masterplumber!

Do your self a favor and check with
Big John Manufacturing Co. Inc.
PO box 456
Osmond NE 68760

Ph 402-748-3860

Ask for Jim, tell him Harvey Sorensen told you to call him. He is a pilot of a V tail and is always talks airplanes with me.
Tell him you need a "good guy" discount.

I think his price is good and you might like his product.

Cheers

Back