What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

An RV-10 Milestone!

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
A milestone! - 1000 Hrs.
Yesterday during an IPC (Instrument proficiency check) I topped the 1000hr. total flight time in my RV-10. This airplane has proven to be a great traveling machine with trips from coast to coast. From Moosonee in northern Ontario to Grenada in the Caribbean and many many places in between.
I began building this airplane in April of 2008 with the first flight on June 28th. 2010.
The picture was taken at the Marathon airport in the Florida Keys about a year ago.
Oh yes, did I mention that I passed my IFR flight test...

Three inflight failures
1. An alternator failure at 10000ft. over lake Erie, returning from Florida, in semi IMC was a significant event in that is caused a spike in voltage causing the VP-200 to shut everything down. In other words ALL instruments and both EFIS screens went dark, a pilots worst nightmare. With some difficulties hand flying using the standby and internally battery powered Dynon D-100 on the far right of the panel the problem was resolved by re-booting the VP-200, no instruments were damaged so the sec. alternator was brought on line and landed 1/2 hr later at our home base.

2. Again, returning home from the US we were at 14000Ft to top some cloud and icing in very cold temperatures. a further climb was needed to stay out of icing. The A/P was set to command a climb but instead of the airspeed going to 120kts it started to climb. This situation was soon recognized as a blocked/frozen Pitot even though the Pitot heat had be an all the time. Some of you will remember that the Dynon Pitot head had an issue with passing water past the mast into the line allowing it to freeze. Dynon has since replaced all affected units free of charge

3. A complete Magneto failure was experienced returning from Oshkosh in 2014. This was a total non event in that I didn't even know it until a couple of days later when I went to do the pre-takeoff run-up. During the Mag check when I switched off the EI the engine almost quit. Oil had gotten past the seal and saturated the Mag. (One magneto and one Lightspeed EI)

Some notable upgrades along the way
1. With my alternator failure it was obvious that my electrical system was inadequate. An 6amp IBBS system from TCW for backup pwr. to both EFIS' and AHRS' was obtained and installed. Bob Neuman from TCW was a great resource with answers to design and installation questions.

2. A Garmin G-5 EFIS with GPS and internal backup battery was installed on the left side on the instrument panel where it can easily be seen.

3. The Garmin GNS430W was replaced with an Avidyne IFD440 which is a "plug and play" upgrade. This was a significant change and definitely one for the better. The IFD440 is a modern, easy to use large bright touch screen interface with many new features incl airways etc.

4. Recently I also upgraded one of my Grand Rapids Technologies (GRT) EFIS screens from the 8.4" HX to the 8'4" HXr touch. GRT are doing a great job in bringing the latest technology to market and the HXr touch is no exception. This unit brings with it many new features, a great upgrade.

P1020037-XL.jpg

Last edited:
You're an inspiration to all of us and I can only hope to hit that milestone someday! Congratulations!

Congratulations. What a great milestone. If your travels bring you to So California, do connect.

Suresh Subramanian
N765RV
RV 7A

Back