What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are RV-7 rudder pedal adjustable

svanarts

Well Known Member
I'm currently flying my RV-4 that I finished, well first flew, almost 3 years ago. Well, the building bug has bit me again and this time I'd like to go for an RV-7. The one concern I have is that I'm only 5'2" and when I flew with Mike Seager in the RV-6 I had a lot of trouble reaching the rudder pedals. Had to pretty much fly it with lots of cushions and tiptoes. I was wondering how adjustable the rudder pedals are? Or is it mainly the seats that you adjust? As long as I've been around RV's I'm ashamed to say I haven't really looked inside a 6 or 7! :eek:

The rudder pedals in the -7 are ground adjustable if you build it per plans. You'd need to fab up different length links between the pedal weldments and rudder cables, but other than that you just loosen six AN3 bolts and slide the pedals fore or aft. You'd need to have drilled your lower longerons and center rudder pedal brace to have multiple "stops" for those bolts, though. FWIW on my setup I have 3 or 4 adjustment points.

The seat backs do adjust as well. The plans call out three hinge locations for the base of the seat back...but nothing says you can't put the seat backs where you want 'em.

A combination of rudder pedal & seat adjustment should place the pedals exactly where you want 'em, while putting your torso at a comfortable distance from the panel.

Music to my eyes, Dan, thanks!

Also, your website is going to come in very handy over the next couple of years.

Back