What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Adapter cable" for KT-76A -> Stratus ESG

RV10Rob

Well Known Member
I'd like to upgrade my transponder from a KT-76A to a Stratus ESG. Would it be possible/advisable to have someone create me an "adapter" harness to avoid having to change the difficult-to-access wiring behind my panel? Thanks...

-Rob

You need to replace the tray. That is the bad news? The good news is it is the same size opening. I would do a new connector it is not that many wires. We replaced our 76a with the ESG. You will be surprised how easy it is.

I just did this the other day. We cut and marked power and ground. Then we removed the tray with the Gray code cable and wired it all on the bench. Just butt spliced the power and ground. The tray is the same size, but even the screw holes are in the same place. Piece of cake.

Don't forget that you must test it after installation (I doubt most folks have the equipment to do this):

Ref: AC43-6B

Any time the aircraft connections to a transponder have been removed and reconnected, each altitude reporting code line (in the case of the newer aircraft, the digital data bus) must be tested for integrity of connection.

Integrity of connection for systems using a digital data bus to convey altitude information to a transponder may be verified by successful reporting of a single altitude. Integrity of connection for systems using Gillham code connections may be verified by performing an abbreviated correspondence test at the test points of Appendix 1, Table 1 using the installed automatic pressure altitude encoding device or through the use of an encoder substation test unit capable of simulation of the Appendix 1, Table 1 altitudes.

A new transponder also would require the complete 91.413 test.

Thanks, guys... it does seem easy, plus since I have a Dynon D100 for the altitude input, I can get rid of the gray code converter and just wire the Dynon's serial output into the transponder, right?

Walt, I'll definitely get it re-certified. My 2 years is almost up, which is why I was thinking of doing it now.

-Rob

That's correct. The serial output from the D100 to Pin 5 on the ESG for altitude encoder and you can leave the repay code out and remove the encoder. Make sure to cap or remove the static line going to the encoder.

Got it done this weekend. Was really easy, *except* the bezel on the Stratus ESG is wider than all my other radios (and the hole in my panel). I would love to know why they designed it that way.

Back