What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FreeFlight FDL-978-XVR ADS-B Transceiver Install Question

newsum

I am getting ready to install a FreeFlight FDL-978-XVR ADS-B Transceiver in my RV6 that is equipped with GRT Sport HS and Garmin GTX-327 transponder. I have FreeFlight's "Equipment Installation Manual" (Document No: 87343, Revision E) for reference.

The FDL-978-XVR part no. 87098‐00 that I am installing has the following RS-232 serial ports:
RS-232 port #1 (Tx and Rx) reserved for the FDL-978-XVR internal GPS.
RS-232 port #2 (Tx and Rx) available
RS-232 port #3 Tx and Rx) reserved for the TC978 control head that will not be installed.
I am however planning to install the wiring and connector for the TC978, as it can be used to configure the FDL-978-XVR for normal operation.
RS-232 port #4 (Rx only) available.

Later versions of the FLD-978-XVR have a RS-232 port #5 Rx/Tx but the part number I have (87098‐00) doesn?t have it.

On first glance, it looks like there should be enough RS-232 serial I/O ports on the FDL-978-XVR for my install. GTS-327 input (Rx#2), Alt Encoder input (Rx#4), and possibly the Tx#2 output to the GRT EFIS).

..?.but, the FreeFlight installation manual requires that if either the Rx or Tx of a serial port pair is assigned to a specific function the other half of the Rx/Tx pair must either be NOT used or configured as the same function. And therein lies my problem.

The FDL-978-XVR does have a RS-422 Rx/Tx pair and an external RS-422 to RS 232 converter could be a possibility but I would rather not install additional parts.

I am in hopes that someone who has experience installing the FreeFlight FDL-978-XVR could comment on how they managed a FDL-978-XVR install or if I am overlooking something.

My solution was to install the TC978 head in the panel, and use the Alt encoder in the head. The head then transmits the encoder info through port 3. Port 2 for efis, port 4 for transponder.

Aaron

RE: FreeFlight FDL-XVR ADS-B Install Question

The solution to my install problem required sending the UAT transceiver back to FreeFlight to have the HW/SW upgraded from part no. 87098‐00 to the latest part number 87098-00-FX00. The -FX00 has an additional RS-232 port (actually 2 additional ports as there is an RS-422 output that can be configured to an RS-232 serial port via the maintenance port.

The upgrade was covered under warranty so I only had to pay the shipping costs to send it back. I was pretty pleased with the FreeFlight tech support I received and how FreeFlight resolved the problem for me.

I have since done the ADS-B FAA test flight and received the $500 rebate. I have the GRT Sport HS EFIS and having ADS-B traffic on the display is a real plus. I am amazed at how many aircraft are out there that I was oblivious to before.

The FreeFlight UAT has been flawless in my experience. Configuration was straight forward and simple using the TC978 Controller. I don't have the controller installed in normal operation just wired it and used it to do the initial configuration.

Back