What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

You only running 1 comm?

Sorry, missed this back then. Yes, only one comm. After many years experience in my last plane with a -255 with monitor function as well, I am quite comfortable with a single comm and a handheld backup in the cockpit (and have decided radio navigation is not a requirement for me either, which is a change). Not opposed to the two box mindset, though.

2 comms

Just a note as I only had one comm for a long time. As a Canadian flying from Bahamas back to US mainland...I had complete comm failure of my only radio years back. Could not have been at a worse time. Luckily I did have a handheld and a wingman. Was able to reach him, not Miami, and he was quick enough to get us grouped as a flight to cross the adiz and keep my international flight plan decent and get us landed in fort pierce as a flight without serious issues for safety, communications or customs.

I got a second comm pretty quick after that. To keep wiring simple, if my garmin 200b (new and main comm now) fails, I can pull the headset jacks, fire up comm 2 (old mgl v-10 that is now fixed) and be up and running in seconds. Not as ideal as two comms with intercom panel etc...but simple and works much better for back up than a handheld and basically let my panel stay the same without huge wiring headaches. Comm 2 hides under my ipad ram mount so not noticeable but there if needed. Would post pic but dont know how anymore. :-(

Scott Hersha's panel / LRI (AOA) gauge

Scott - that's nice how you have the top half of the gauge showing and recessed the lower half. Relevant info visible and red light hidden below - slick.

That looks like an Alpha Systems round gauge from image search but their website only shows digital displays. Where did you get that one ?

Joe

One other thing that’s cool about that LRI is the lighting. I have the under the glareshield strip led I bought from Stein. It was too long, so I cut it to fit. You can make a cut on these every 3 led’s. I cut a 3 light section and soldered a red and black wire to it and taped it to the glass on the face of the LRI under the glareshield where you can’t see it. When I turn it on I get a soft red glow up into the instrument. It puts a big smile on my face every time I turn it on.
It’s right in my line of sight when landing.

Scott - that's nice how you have the top half of the gauge showing and recessed the lower half. Relevant info visible and red light hidden below - slick.

That looks like an Alpha Systems round gauge from image search but their website only shows digital displays. Where did you get that one ?

Joe

You can get it at Spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/liftmonitor.php?clickkey=14480

I bought mine from the LIFT MANAGEMENT, LLC owner.

The original LRI ceased to operate several years ago. Alpha Systems kind of took over, but no longer sell it either. LIFT MANAGEMENT does now. Contact the owner, or order from Spruce.

Scott,
Love that AOA indicator. Had one in my -4. It really helped me improve my short field landing performance.

Daddyman

Me too. I was coming across the fence way too fast, making things difficult. Landings improved when I installed the lift indicator, after calibrating it and understanding where I needed to be on the gage. 1.3 vs for me is around 65KIAS, and I know where on the gage that 1.3 is, and that position doesn’t change with gross weight or air density.

Panel evolution

After 4 years of ownership, finally have the panel just the way I want it, thru 3 steps. Original, 2 AV-30's, Dynon Skyview HDX and finally new radio stack.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 345
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 431
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 427
  • 4.1.jpg
    4.1.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 567
Lite IFR configuration with custom backlit switch panels, cut and etched on the laser. I’ll update when it’s finally lit up.

Attachments

• EB62C9AB-DD5B-42FB-B2BE-4351AE84E271.jpg
    EB62C9AB-DD5B-42FB-B2BE-4351AE84E271.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
RV-8 Panel Upgrade

Last year my RV-6 wingman and good friend Steve and I worked together to design and install similar panels. We spent several months focused on human factor and user experience issues by creating detailed mockups which we used to evaluate common scenarios. Emphasis was placed on improving operations, situational awareness, and maintainablilty.

We both chose to install dual 10 inch Dynon HDX Skyview screens with the Skyview Intercom, Knob Panel, Xponder, ADSB, GPS, Com Panel and ECB. After much consideration we chose to work with Advanced Flight Systems Advanced Panel team. We are glad we did! The Advanced Panel team handled much of the heavy lifting. They were good to work with. They took our designs, created CAD drawings for our review and helped us select the required switches. They then built out and bench tested the system. The Advanced Panel Advanced Control Module (ACM) acts as both a data hub and ECB. This simplifies wiring significantly. In addition to the ACM, I installed a small fuse box to handle my PMAGs, seat heaters, and a few other items. It was fun teaming up with another builder on the design and install. It definitely helped with brainstorming designs and troubleshooting installations.

I took advantage of Dynon's new universal mounting tray kit which attaches to the back of the HDX screen. The mounting tray kits are perfect for the RV-8. With one on each screen, all components, with the exception of the ADAHRS, were mounted behind the screen. The ADAHRS was mounted in the aft fuselage.

I also took this opportunity to upgrade my nav, strobe and landing lights. I chose the FlyLed works. They work well with Advanced Flight Systems ACM. You can see the green daughter board that plugs into the ACM. They were fun to build, but a bit of a bear to retrofit into the RV-8 batwing tips.

I have about 3 hours on the panel. No squawks and it is a pleasure to fly.

Attachments

• Rv-8 Panel during.jpg
    Rv-8 Panel during.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 450
  • Rv-8 Panel After.jpg
    Rv-8 Panel After.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 779
Last year my RV-6 wingman and good friend Steve and I worked together to design and install similar panels. We spent several months focused on human factor and user experience issues by creating detailed mockups which we used to evaluate common scenarios. Emphasis was placed on improving operations, situational awareness, and maintainablilty.

We both chose to install dual 10 inch Dynon HDX Skyview screens with the Skyview Intercom, Knob Panel, Xponder, ADSB, GPS, Com Panel and ECB. After much consideration we chose to work with Advanced Flight Systems Advanced Panel team. We are glad we did! The Advanced Panel team handled much of the heavy lifting. They were good to work with. They took our designs, created CAD drawings for our review and helped us select the required switches. They then built out and bench tested the system. The Advanced Panel Advanced Control Module (ACM) acts as both a data hub and ECB. This simplifies wiring significantly. In addition to the ACM, I installed a small fuse box to handle my PMAGs, seat heaters, and a few other items. It was fun teaming up with another builder on the design and install. It definitely helped with brainstorming designs and troubleshooting installations.

I took advantage of Dynon's new universal mounting tray kit which attaches to the back of the HDX screen. The mounting tray kits are perfect for the RV-8. With one on each screen, all components, with the exception of the ADAHRS, were mounted behind the screen. The ADAHRS was mounted in the aft fuselage.

I also took this opportunity to upgrade my nav, strobe and landing lights. I chose the FlyLed works. They work well with Advanced Flight Systems ACM. You can see the green daughter board that plugs into the ACM. They were fun to build, but a bit of a bear to retrofit into the RV-8 batwing tips.

I have about 3 hours on the panel. No squawks and it is a pleasure to fly.

I like the cap for the manual trim knob! Very original.

Before and after

Big change. Lots to learn

Attachments

• large_image_1641495_2_1614262469_60160171287778.jpg
    large_image_1641495_2_1614262469_60160171287778.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Resized_20230811_205244.jpg
    Resized_20230811_205244.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 20230923_143119.jpg
    20230923_143119.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
6 months later than planned, the plug and play panel will be going in the plane after I finish wiring the side panels.

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 148
Looking to upgrade from 2005 to 2024

Here's my panel: I'm considering an upgrade to Dynon Skyview HDX + auto pilot. Would like to keep as much of existing instruments as possible. Any tips on redesigning the panel? something better than making cardboard cut outs and re arranging on a blank panel? If I could remove the D10A and put a new EFIS in the same cutout and add AP servos that would be enough for now.

Attachments

• RV8 panel.jpg
    RV8 panel.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 48
Here's my panel: I'm considering an upgrade to Dynon Skyview HDX + auto pilot. Would like to keep as much of existing instruments as possible. Any tips on redesigning the panel? something better than making cardboard cut outs and re arranging on a blank panel? If I could remove the D10A and put a new EFIS in the same cutout and add AP servos that would be enough for now.

If you are using the Dynon autopilot, I would suggest adding the autopilot control panel (SV-AP-PANEL). Adding the AP control panel gives the autopilot the auto-trim function plus other features.

From Dynon:

"The Autopilot control panel is also a full featured dual-axis trim controller. It can control your electric pitch and/or roll trim motors, replacing the relay decks normally used.

With Autopilot Auto-Trim, the SV-AP-PANEL can keep the the aircraft in trim while under autopilot control. This eliminates the need for the pilot to manually actuate their trim to follow the Autopilot’s built-in trim advice. "

Back