VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 AM

When I have time between work and having fun flying, I'll post some info on how much I've enjoyed the EFII system and how awesome it is in my 10. I think it'll be clear why it's the best, most reliable, easy to use option out there. And it's only getting better...
Having hooked up both types of systems, the plumbing for the EFII fuel rail is simpler that the bendix style, and the simple fact is the EFII injectors are in the most otimum location. I'm usually a max of 12-15 degrees max CHT spread across all 6 cylinders.
BPE IO-540, FULL EFII
KMYF, San Diego, Ca.
KEOS, Neosho, MO

Crew Lead on the
Grove Aero Super Legacy Reno Racer,
twin turbo, IO-540,
full EFII management system
!

"so I got that going for me... which is nice."
2017 Dues Paid"
Old 08-19-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelabel View Post
When I have time between work and having fun flying, I'll post some info on how much I've enjoyed the EFII system and how awesome it is in my 10. I think it'll be clear why it's the best, most reliable, easy to use option out there. And it's only getting better...
Having hooked up both types of systems, the plumbing for the EFII fuel rail is simpler that the bendix style, and the simple fact is the EFII injectors are in the most otimum location. I'm usually a max of 12-15 degrees max CHT spread across all 6 cylinders.
John, are you suggesting that the EFII method of welding the injector bosses into the induction tubes facing "backwards" against the induction flow is superior to the SDS direct mount injectors featured in this thread?

If so, I'd like to see the comparison test results you have.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 08-19-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
We have one final software/hardware feature which is under development which hopefully can be retrofitted to all EM-5 ECUs. Can't talk much about that one at the moment until further test results are in.
I wonder if it's what I'm hoping it is?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
John, are you suggesting that the EFII method of welding the injector bosses into the induction tubes facing "backwards" against the induction flow is superior to the SDS direct mount injectors featured in this thread?

If so, I'd like to see the comparison test results you have.
I am indeed... The EFII system is very well engineered by someone with more experience on fuel and ignition in the real world than anyone on this forum... The key is "real world" experience. Not just what works on paper. If there was. A better way, it would have been done that way.
This was backed up by, who I believe to be one of the best hands on and highly respected engine builders out there... Hence, what's in my plane.
BPE IO-540, FULL EFII
KMYF, San Diego, Ca.
KEOS, Neosho, MO

Crew Lead on the
Grove Aero Super Legacy Reno Racer,
twin turbo, IO-540,
full EFII management system
!

"so I got that going for me... which is nice."
2017 Dues Paid"
Old 08-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I am indeed... The EFII system is very well engineered by someone with more experience on fuel and ignition in the real world than anyone on this forum... The key is "real world" experience. Not just what works on paper. If there was. A better way, it would have been done that way.
This was backed up by, who I believe to be one of the best hands on and highly respected engine builders out there... Hence, what's in my plane.
Glad you are so pleased with your EFII system (which we build most of the electronic components for BTW) but you might want to check your facts.

All OEMs place the injectors facing towards the port- Lycoming, Continental, Toyota, GM, Honda, Ford etc. Are all these engineers and tens of millions of engines wrong?

Lycoming with their own IE2 FADEC system placed the injectors in the ports, facing the valves. Also in error?

My company has been doing EFI and EI for over 20 years, nearly 10,000 controllers in the field, dozens of world records and race wins, millions of hours collectively and over 425,000 flight hours to date on Lycoming, Continental, Jabiru, Rotax, Franklin, LOM, Honda, Suzuki, Subaru, GM etc. Doubt if anyone else comes close to that "Real World" experience...

Our first EFI Lycoming customer flew 19 years ago.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 08-19-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
I wonder if it's what I'm hoping it is?
We try to make all dreams come true. Tell us what features you'd like to see and we'll always give it some thought.

Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Old 08-19-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
We try to make all dreams come true. Tell us what features you'd like to see and we'll always give it some thought.
Either tying the LOP switch to a second fuel map (programmed in advance), or to a closed-loop "economy" mode for LOP that maintains a specified fuel-air ratio based off the O2 sensor. I realize the second has some challenges with fault detection, limits, and dealing with sensor misbehavior/failure.

My ideal would be not having to touch the mixture knob at all for normal operations, once the ECU is fully programmed and tweaked. Just a "normal/economy" switch.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
Either tying the LOP switch to a second fuel map (programmed in advance), or to a closed-loop "economy" mode for LOP that maintains a specified fuel-air ratio based off the O2 sensor. I realize the second has some challenges with fault detection, limits, and dealing with sensor misbehavior/failure.

My ideal would be not having to touch the mixture knob at all for normal operations, once the ECU is fully programmed and tweaked. Just a "normal/economy" switch.
With leaded fuel, running off the O2 in closed loop mode would not be reliable. That will have to wait for unleaded Avgas.

There is one more feature under development which will help make operation more automatic, with just leaning to your desired EGT using the knob and throwing the advance switch. We hope to flight test this near month end and should be able to implement on all EM-5s soon after that.

Anything totally automatic would involve closed loop control with targeted AFR rpm/load points plus a lot of diagnostic code to identify a bad O2 sensor.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I am indeed... The EFII system is very well engineered by someone with more experience on fuel and ignition in the real world than anyone on this forum..
...do you mean aside from Ross - the guy who developed and supplies EFII with the key hardware that makes that magic happen?

As for the injectors facing backwards and far from the port as the "optimum location", I guess that remains to be seen. I'm betting that placing the injector in the port, aimed at the valve like Lycoming and virtually every other injected engine on the planet is probably a better solution.

But even if the performance turns out to be exactly the same, the direct replacement injector mounts Ross developed are clearly a more elegant engineering solution. I have a set of these and they are like fine jewelry compared to the Rube Goldberg stuff that EFII sticks with. Thank goodness we have manufacturers fighting for the consumers dollar, otherwise we'd never see advances like this.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson

Last edited by Toobuilder : 08-19-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
A single dual channel user programmable CPI so two ignitions could be adjusted using one programmer/controller as opposed to two.