What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 9/9A project!

Got my first weight data yesterday, with IO360 and Whirlwind C/S prop, full glass panel, dual alternators, battery in the mid-tail, extended range tanks and complete Classic Aero interior (seats, side panels, carpet, the works).

Empty weight is 1111 pounds at 77.92" from the datum, just about 10 pounds heavier than I anticipated before I started building. Blasted primer.... :D

1111...that's an easy to remember number! I'm hoping to have mine weighed in a couple of weeks. Minimal upholstery, Catto FP prop, lightweight starter, single GRT Sport SX display, no exterior paint, so I'm thinking' 1050?

Canopy

Finally had some time after the Holidays to Sikaflex in the aft window on my tip-up canopy. Lots of clamps, but the mess was manageable.

I couldn't help pulling back the protective plastic to see how it looked. I had beveled the aluminum skin which gives a nice finished look and also provided the necessary space between the window and the skin for the Sikaflex.

I was pleased with how the two sections matched-up. I'm thinking I'll add a fiberglass targa strip to help with noise and to keep rain out.

Last edited:
ZZ Top

She's got legs.... :D

Got her up on her wheels the other day. Thanks to Tim Emig for his help drilling the fire wall and attaching the engine mount.

Getting the gear on is a big step! Now it looks like a real plane, and neighbors don't think you're building a canoe anymore. :)

The only downside is it's harder to climb inside...easily remedied when you put the wings on.

Nice legs!

She's got legs.... :D

Got her up on her wheels the other day. Thanks to Tim Emig for his help drilling the fire wall and attaching the engine mount.

You are almost there Tom. Do you remember yourself 25 hundred hours ago? :D

VERY good - you know your classic roadsters.
1973 TR-6 all original. Probably the only TR-6 in existence with no rust... :eek:

N183RC one step closer, first engine runs

I had first engine runs of my never before run O-320H2/ellison combo Saturday, and it went well, mostly. Preoiling worked, 44psi of oil pressure on the starter alone. Mahlon provided some guidance and ran that as close as possible - the 10 minute 1400 rpm run had to be truncated due to CHT reaching 350F at 6 minutes. It does all the things it should, 2190 rpm static with a Sensenich fixed. Some mixture things need to be chased, it doesn't cutoff cleanly at idle cutoff shutdown, but it does cut off.

The wrinkle was last run on Sunday, where it stubled towards the end of the run. No EMS indications (RPM, CHT, EGT, Oil, Fuel all solid), but you can hear it on the video (and watch me react in the cockpit, lol). It looks like the screen crush washer leakage issue I've had and thought I solved is not solved when oil temp comes up. It drools enough to put a puddle on top of the airbox and inside the airbox, and drool some more out the drain hole in the airbox, thankfully not onto anything hot. I may have fouled my filter and/or I'm sucking some oil into the intake. I won't know until I get the cowl off.

Word to the wise: If you have a Sensenich spinner, don't run it above 1400 rpm without the spinner on. You will bend the back of blade fairings on the backplate as they rotate. Sigh. 717-569-0435 just in case. :(

Fiberglassing

Nearly completed the fiberglass fairing on the front of my windscreen. I may be the only one here who loves doing fiberglass and epoxy work, I think it reminds me of boating :D

I tinted the epoxy with.... India Ink.
Don't laugh, I've been doing it for years, mixes readily with the epoxy and has no noticeable affect on strength. Some more filler coats of thickened epoxy, some more sanding and I should be done.

I may be the only one here who loves doing fiberglass and epoxy work

You, and Dan Horton. :D

Lookin' good so far. I'm sure this type of work is the most closely scrutinized by other RVers at fly-ins and such, so it's worth putting in a lot of effort to make it nice.

Left wing top skins....check!!!!

Finished the left wing top skins today with the help of my son. He is an aerospace engineering student at Embry Riddle so this is his summer internship!
2wpt1j9.jpg
[/IMG]
12160zp.jpg
[/IMG]

Nearly completed the fiberglass fairing on the front of my windscreen. I may be the only one here who loves doing fiberglass and epoxy work, I think it reminds me of boating :D

I tinted the epoxy with.... India Ink.
Don't laugh, I've been doing it for years, mixes readily with the epoxy and has no noticeable affect on strength. Some more filler coats of thickened epoxy, some more sanding and I should be done.

What is that attach bracket forward of the left sub-panel riveted to the longeron?

IMG_0026_zpsia4b4ocr.jpg

I'm out of Phase I now, and I'm not calling it "done" yet until it's painted, but my project has turned out to be every bit as satisfying as I had hoped, and then some! 8 years and 1,985 actual shop hours to current status, with maybe another 10-15 hours or so for touch-ups and tweaks, so we'll call it an even 2,000 hours.

All those hours spent in the freezing cold while driving rivets, all those hours in the 100 degree heats dripping sweat while driving rivets, I kept telling myself it would be worth it someday - and I was right! It's SOOOOO worth it, keep going guys!

I routinely cruise in the mid-upper teens on any trip over 100 miles now, because it's so easy to get there. I climb at 1000/min at full power even at max gross in hot west Texas ground temps, and yesterday I was still showing 700/min leveling off at 16,500. Solo with light fuel load the Vy climbout deck angle is astonishing! I can flight plan 150ktas on 6.5-7.0 gallons per hour at that altitude and hit my numbers every time. This magic carpet ride is awesome!!

Last edited:
I'm out of Phase I now, and I'm not calling it "done" yet until it's painted, but my project has turned out to be every bit as satisfying as I had hoped, and then some! 8 years and 1,985 actual shop hours to current status, with maybe another 10-15 hours or so for touch-ups and tweaks, so we'll call it an even 2,000 hours.

All those hours spent in the freezing cold while driving rivets, all those hours in the 100 degree heats dripping sweat while driving rivets, I kept telling myself it would be worth it someday - and I was right! It's SOOOOO worth it, keep going guys!

I routinely cruise in the mid-upper teens on any trip over 100 miles now, because it's so easy to get there. I climb at 1000/min at full power even at max gross in hot west Texas ground temps, and yesterday I was still showing 700/min leveling off at 16,500. Solo with light fuel load the Vy climbout deck angle is astonishing! I can flight plan 150ktas on 6.5-7.0 gallons per hour at that altitude and hit my numbers every time. This magic carpet ride is awesome!!

Greg, I'm so happy to see this report and hear about this. Congratulations!! All the hard work has paid off for you, and it's very inspirational to see this. As another long-time builder, I hope to be there soon with mine, too.

Your performance is incredible. What are you using for an oxygen system, by the way?

Your performance is incredible. What are you using for an oxygen system, by the way?

Right now I've got a D-size cylinder mounted in the right rear corner of the baggage compartment, it's an easy reach from the pilots seat to turn it on. I'm using the Oxysaver cannula but I have a surplus Mountain High unit somewhere on a UPS truck to take its place and save even more oxygen. I've found that with my Oxysaver I can maintain 90% or better blood O2 saturation on 0.5lpm starting at about 9,000' and going to 1 lpm at 14,000'. I spend enough time up that high that I'm already on my second fill.

I simply cannot believe this wing on the 9A - it loves the higher altitudes for cruise and has absolutely no problem getting up there in a hurry. Of course, an IO360 and CS prop helps a lot!

Did W&B today...

I did weight and balance today, the good news is there is no logical way to get outside of the CG range without doing something almost impossible. The bad news is N183RC is a little chunky, about 40lbs over target. I came in 1113 empty with all pants and fairings, empty fuel. There was a single headset in that number.

It's a RV-9A, tip up, O320, Sensenich fixed, Sensenich aluminum spinner, D180, Dynon AP, GTX327' SL30, 496, electric trim, mid level interior. Painted in and out.

1113 with everything, 1103 with no fairings or pants.

Is that about right?

Rick, it is great that you are to the weight and balance stage. Congratulations. You still have plenty of room and pounds left for your needs. Wish I was as far along as you!

That sounds about right, Rick.

Mine came in at 1025 lb. empty, but it's a pretty simple VFR build with partial interior, FP Catto prop, no autopilot, single comm, etc.

Mine's a slider...does anyone know if a slider is heavier or lighter than a tip-up?

It is what it is - just fly

Mine came in a little lighter than you but I still have a couple more boxes I want to put in when the funds can appear. Just means you may have to leave a few things behind on your trips or a little less fuel. I just went through the airworthiness process so you are almost there - congrats. The finish line is within sight.

I'm right there with you at 1115 empty, but that's with full carpet interior, sidewalls, and leather seats.

Painted

Picked my newly painted airplane up from Art-craft Paint in Santa Maria, CA last week. Paint scheme by Scheme Designers, Inc.
image_zpsu3au3hxq.jpeg

image_zpsyjanj3qo.jpeg

image_zpsoorfqur7.jpeg

Looks great Bruce! I dropped my -7 off the week before they finished painting yours and saw it in the hangar. Art-Craft is a great shop!

40 Hours DONE!

I can't quite call the project finished, but close enough is good enough, for now...

I finished the initial 40 hours flight testing today, and thought I'd celebrate with a bit of coastal flying on the way back to Cessnock. You know, some poor buggers pay hard earned cash for this kind of thing!
29461013346_a6943ba22d_z.jpg

29206251240_64496f3dc2_z.jpg

Just hanging out...

It is hung... One more thing off the list. I haven't decided yet whether to nickname the engine the canary or the angry bird. Was a pretty painless hang, being conical. Have to talk more with Robert at EFII, because it's conical. One of the coil packs has a clearance issue with the mount. BTW, I had to pull the coil packs back off to clear the mount, in case you are like me and have your coil packs installed while the engine is off-mount.

J3a0VHrVn3oY7iXDbsGqdLqYsePnp96xRu-AZY0bDeOU0cCYwWVdT7DbNqBLianzHKFulD4ojM8lp4ky1UW73hWc9sFvLucHzqf40SxU7PF4ucZ7FoZfSHdQuCN3FT4dcgxrobzdpbePxK-H8vbeUJQzbbZnJKcOSMTjzA543Qf8NUDynT5p-2_FABosL8rjAhg7aRyYmBOm12Z8pX4K_hKdO8VTLW1N5C9L9XrOEvn7EY4HjhfLiioGp7303ya-qQB9q989w26OsnpmZD9qB7JJLx7TNaEEXtvJqTkbJQAvTXx5Da_MoFfju1CMaAz3nBjqM-Fpvfgns9tYN_VvUfT-A-N4B9RJoGPIofl9PtNa7y8soJ9ADg3P3-eAbGajDcER7IYMVk_BKIcDyMFHQsjvVj3gMlitvhXpzN08TlAu4be3NtwAw440We_4NsjCGiNNVSaDiWe1OkZVVyR7iEY-uKumpejwcaBvAs4wOP9_1KuqmquluOi6GhN3CCXfJ_5mwePS5UQfUupfIzE5gIOs8CunMymzKY5vd2zaC1Nf6qgYrnGbl60YMV9PaYn7KTHeTu8Zc_BuCEO3VogWcVzks0o0rWmN-enjvE0u0Zc2xgQ-=w859-h644-no

HoJjVo9F-XesX4x41x4o6v1dvZHO2FDYvw5mYEIXnF8VeOMZre-M_kHstaVETyzsXsdonOgZR7HLulVLpP4sSMZtcxDG9xoDx8jPBU_g4O_gHIRn6rTgreYsVCuZiUGP-DUy-2JmD4J5Ar4ai_lZZ30SUTv1dAvSs4Rp7gWA2Pezmth1BO_tCTQuA1kHpbuWuuu71lP_-UEcUpc1qztakcuyeA_VEZcSP1ELUu69KT3sBHpwQqxHXkD8n7UNKwanjeAsTpvJMwKeqDRrTigP5fSRMKwss9m7PstCH-WlKsEEC8TMCO5_-GSq3wx4mUDRuu0Q-T6fVPFVH9qWSbt356Wm-uz6mJwIxAMGGk4N4tT5OnzGTOG2E1rpdt408p2EQi6gaBfqKnxGWjYoLb4DtekVlJoDJ2_ro1wztmF9G_-hhICNhfQNxYYnzmayE3dYsbXgoynvbk9d-nNn9uiw0MLIEN4X3utDs-02t3dP_eJs3B7RU_-u2CAMRR3dOsnp7RJDRVsjDsHKdGr6MugDP9GYbbTkhla7lEk4KBY_cUStGWlwguADko1vazuUQrDy5HohsM5YXWPUqyBQug-hYhFqEESJtlSMYbM5ce1mb6bFeLzE=w365-h644-no

Hey Scott, just take your dremell and grind a bit off the engine mount. Im sure it will be OK! Ha!!

Looking good! Your cool color painted engine makes me jealous.

Cowling

I have been struggling with my cowling and baffles - just like everyone else. I was fortunate to have Darin fly over from the Seattle area today to show me his James cowl, plenum, and everything else I am trying to get finished. He wouldn't even let me fill his tanks up. Thanks Darin. I really appreciate it.

Sometimes just seeing something in person can make all the difference. It was a great afternoon and I am ready to keep moving forward.

Here is a picture of Darin's beautiful 9A.
[URL=http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/rockwoodrv9a/media/A-1_zpskpvdlg0q.jpg.html][/URL]

Here is my plenum and baffles as they are now. I need to lower the back a bit for more engine clearance and glass the ends of the scoops so they fit tight at the plenum. I still have to trim the cone areas to allow for the wet suit material joint between the ring and glass - but that will come later. Now, back to wiring!!
[URL=http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/rockwoodrv9a/media/plenum%20a_zpswkz25qvm.jpg.html][/URL]

Nice Jim. That is great. Have fun with the next phase and get that thing in the air!

Thanks! Can't wait...Transition training second week Nov

My terrific wife was sure happy to have the Mattituck IO-360 out of her dining room after 4 years!��

Last edited:
I only had mine in my entry for a couple weeks - but I had two of them! I think you still win. Have fun.

Thanks! Can't wait...Transition training second week Nov

My terrific wife was sure happy to have the Mattituck IO-360 out of her dining room after 4 years!��

after 10 months

After 10 months I have the tail feathers done and am working on wings. I am trying to spend 20 hours per week, but rarely can achieve that due to life, the universe, and everything else.
IMG_0862.JPG

Heh, yeah, I had a 5-year build timeline laid out that I finished in 8. Life happens.

My original schedule was also 5 years. Still working in year number 6, but with a healthy and mostly happy family at my side. I'm just hoping I wasn't off by a decimal place! :mad:

Aluminum mistress has a nice tail!!

I got the tail all aligned and mounted over the last 2 days. It was a lot of fun and went fairly smoothly. Now to make the rudder stops. After that static ports installed. Then get the bottom wing skins riveted so I can mount those for the first time. Unfortunately my riveting partner is off at college so I'm going it solo. Maybe I can twist the wife's arm for some help!!
w8qb9s.jpg
[/IMG]
iydaud.jpg
[/IMG]
20zuu07.jpg
[/IMG]

It's progressing nicely David. Hey if you have plans handy can you take a look at brass bushing specs? Inside the control column below the stick. Mine has an untolerable play and I want to machine a new one.

bushing%20-%201.jpg

Last edited:
David,

Another question for you (thanks for posting the pics...). I see that you installed the ' Almost a -14 Mod'. I have done so as well. How do you plan to close/latch the right side of your canopy? I am not too sure about all the additional connections and linkages introduced by moving the long torque tube aft from its factory designed position. I am looking for alternatives and may just go with an independent latch on that right side corner of the canopy. What are your plans?

Thanks in advance - enjoy your Sunday!

Lars

It's progressing nicely David. Hey if you have plans handy can you take a look at brass bushing specs? Inside the control column below the stick. Mine has an untolerable play and I want to machine a new one.

bushing%20-%201.jpg

Vlad, Is this what you're looking for?
2guhycm.jpg
[/IMG]
hvqdc0.jpg
[/IMG]

Back