What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire help please

Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
Hi guys, I’m just into my first annual and I’ve found this cut on the outside of the tire. It’s an inch long, does the necessitate a new tire?

Many thanks,
8_B2050_C0-02_D9-480_C-9075-_D5_B423_FE27_E6.jpg

Reject

At the airlines any sidewalk damage was cause for rejection. A big deal since those tires are very expensive and are typically recapped many times.
Sidewalk damage and tire was scrapped.

i dont see any wear on the tire - the little needle nubs are still present. The crack also seems to be following along some sort of flaw line in the rubber. Might look into getting the supplier to replace it on their nickle.

erich

New shoe

Take it from a guy that changed a tire on the rv8 in the dark on the ramp 900nm from home, it?s not fun, but I now own rv8 jack points.

Manuals by the manufacturers are good sources of info

Recommend doing a search on ?aircraft tire maintenance?.... it should yield manuals by Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone. (Listed in sequence of longest to shortest...)

Although geared to big iron,... useful info for all,... and most have pictures and explanations

I?d see how deep it is, I?ve seem MFG defects from the mold that look like cuts are you sure it wasn?t there before?

Btw I have recaps on my plane from the most reputable recapper and they are JUNK!

Never again I?m
Going new from now on. They are taller and inconsistent totally garbage. IMO

Agree with changing it. Also agree with Erik about getting the supplier of the tire paying for it. That tire looks new!

Back