What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Kind of Wiring Do You Like Best? *POLL*

What Wiring Option Do You Like Best?

• "FastOn terminals (crimp on mating male terminals)

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • Molex connector (special pin tool)

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Terminal strip + one ground (crimp on lugs)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Direct wire to PCB terminals (bare wire end)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • DB9 Serial Connector (solder or crimp pins)

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Should be self explanatory. Basically you have a box behind the panel, what wiring do you like best. Not to prejudice I will hold my opinion for now. They are not necessarily in order of my preference either, but there are factors like cost, complexity, ease of making connections.... If you got this to install in your plane behind the panel which one would be best for you..... or even you think is just superior for design reason.

wiringoptions.jpg

Last edited:
You left out my favorite, the canon plug.

97-3106A-20-29P.jpg

My wing displays the light screw-on type that will connect to a bulkhead pass-through at the fuselage and another cable will take it to the panel. Easy to connect, positive lock, reliable. The firewall will be getting a type appropriate for the engine compartment environment - expensive but much better than a stainless shield over a rubber grommet.

FP04062011A0004W.jpg

On re-reading your post I am guessing you're talking about component connections, not harness connections that you make for yourself. For those, I generally appreciate the DB 9/25 or the similar HD connectors unless there are wiring considerations that rule it out (hard to picture strobe wires in small RS232 sizes).

Last edited:
Not enough information - how much current, for example? I'd use a DB9 or similar for low current stuff (<1A) but if it was something that was going to draw more than that, I'd be more inclined to go molex or fast-on.

Not enough information - how much current, for example? I'd use a DB9 or similar for low current stuff (<1A) but if it was something that was going to draw more than that, I'd be more inclined to go molex or fast-on.

Not enough reading on your part.... :D
Read the post...I'll take care of the engineering... Thanks for your input.
The Molex and Faston are two very different options, want to narrow it?

DB9 actually can handle more than an amp, but if you read what I wrote,
it's not enough for this application... I included it only to see if any one
had other experience using it for 5 amps or more. I did find one mention
in specs it was good for 5 amps. I could use two pins for input (10 amps).
I can't image the dialetric would break down at these low volts and amps.
It would work, but is it kosher? It's just a wild card option.... Not sure you
can get a 18 awg wire on one of those connector pins, at least crimp type.

You left out my favorite, the canon plug..... hard to picture strobe wires
in small RS232 sizes
Landing/taxi/regonition lights.

I agree mil spec connectors are best, but cost, weight and for this application
it's overkill... but agree canon plugs are great. What of the choices I gave
would you like best...

Last edited:
My choice is

FastOn Connectors. For ease of installation and future maintenance.
However, I actually used a combination throughout the aircraft.
Good question.

Your "self-explanatory" actually took some explaining; I originally thought it was a generic poll and didn't even notice your current specs until later. Based on what I'm reading, I'd say Molex is your pal. Screw terminals suck in hard-to-reach areas. And I'm not a big fan of fast-on for bundled wires; too easy to get connectors mixed up. What do the avionics gurus say?

I too took the poll as asking "what wiring *I* like best" and did not read your needs until after I replied.

As with all wiring, it's the power that changes the equation - both wire gauge and connector type. for as much as makes sense, I like some form of multi-pin connector. The pins in a D-shell can handle some current but the wire needs to be the right gauge.

Last edited:

I agree. Depends on what it is. Mil Spec "D" connectors with crimp contacts and NEVER solder contacts plus Molex connectors and Fast-On have been used depending on what it is. I have all three behind my panel. The poll does not allow more than one choice.

I do not like solder connectors and try to never use them. I also advise others to stay away from them. Too many people cannot solder well enough. At one time in the past, I was solder certified for space flight so I do know what a good solder joints.

Your "self-explanatory" actually took some explaining; I originally thought it was a generic poll and didn't even notice your current specs until later.
Yes it was obvious you did not notice...:D I said self explanatory, not don't read. :rolleyes: (I am razzing you)

Based on what I'm reading, I'd say Molex is your pal. Screw terminals suck in hard-to-reach areas. And I'm not a big fan of fast-on for bundled wires; too easy to get connectors mixed up. What do the avionics gurus say?
That makes sense and good reasons. The Molex is a winner... I was a little concerned fellow builders had some dislike of Molex crimps (two crimps, one on insulation, one on the wire). However with some instructions and even basic tools it's not difficult. I learned how to make BNC crimps and the tool and die is about $150 (got a good deal on fleePay for $35)...

I think choice #3 has a lot going for it. I could put some FASTON tab extensions on it. The terminal strip is good for a solid 15-20 amps per circuit.

I agree. Depends on what it is. Mil Spec "D" connectors with crimp contacts and NEVER solder contacts plus Molex connectors and Fast-On have been used depending on what it is. I have all three behind my panel. The poll does not allow more than one choice.

I do not like solder connectors and try to never use them. I also advise others to stay away from them. Too many people cannot solder well enough. At one time in the past, I was solder certified for space flight so I do know what a good solder joints.

Well you can state it here what your #2, #3 is...

Yes solder can be done well of course. All most all electronic circuits, tubes to transistors, that I know of since the early 20th century to present day are soldered, once "point to point", than PCB, than SMD (surface mount). So solder is good, but it can crack or be poor depending on skill.... Space certified soldering! Ha ha! COOL! Do you want to share any tips? Good standard solder practice is usually a winner but it takes some skill and knowledge to know if it's bad. I use a magnifying glass to look for defects.

Last edited:
There actually are pins for DB connectors that accept both AWG18 and AWG16 wire. They are provided by a certain well known avionics mfgr with certain units....and most shops have piles of them around because we don't end up using many of them. They are long suckers, but they will hold those fat wires. Takes a different crimper (or solder) as well.

There are also DSub connectors made out of various materials and specs to handle various current loads. You can actually get some pretty exotic ones that handle piles of current, other ones with wild shielding, pin sizes, bi-metal, etc..

Any, I'd probably want to know more about the actual widget before I made my choice for sure.....

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Not enough reading on your part.... :D
Read the post...I'll take care of the engineering... Thanks for your input.
The Molex and Faston are two very different options, want to narrow it?

Yep, I see it now - reading is fundamental :).

I'd still be torn between molex and fastons but for a production widget I'd lean toward a molex connector.

Molex connector.

The ultimate maintenance wise would probably be a Molex connector on the black box with a small pigtail to a terminal strip mounted behind the panel. Easy to pull the box out, measure voltages, and add/modify wiring. Unfortunately, it adds weight and another point of failure. If you want to effortlessly pull / replace the box, you need a multipin connector.

Paige

Besides Molex & Amp/Tyco, don't forget Samtec... They have quite a list, although maybe not quite as wide an offering in the 'Board to Cable' category?

Back