What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 First Flight :-)

BlackhawkSP

Well Known Member
I completed the maiden flight yesterday in my RV-10 !! I wanted to get it done before the spring snow storm we have going on today !! These aircraft are the ultimate in delayed gratification. She fly’s great. All the engine CHT's and EGT's were very reasonable. I closed the cowl flaps right after take off. The engine oil temp leveled off at 206 degrees, and i was running WOT at 5500 Ft. I saw at one point 178 knots TAS straight and level. Now on to the flight test program and teaching myself how to work all the whiz-bang goodies and features in the Garmin avionics and autopilot. I've flown a Super 8 for years, but I am rapidly getting to love this 10 !

Here are a bunch of pictures from the event:

Waiting for my chase plane and friends to show up.

2q21wf8.jpg

Pulling her out. You can see John Hubble's beautiful 10 in the background.

tampaf.jpg

fdd7if.jpg

Strsight on view.

11hcr5w.jpg

Some of the details, thanks to Aerosport Products.

52gh0y.jpg

Close up tail shot.

talqw8.jpg

Bugs eye view.

4ixwl2.jpg

Getting ready to start.

k9t3k1.jpg

Taxiing out.

2rrp93m.jpg

It's done !! I can even use the plane for another day too !!!

dfturk.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations

Larry-----congrats on the new fledgling:D

Seems to me that I helped load this into a truck a couple years back---did you get it from Cameron Park?

That sounds right. I bought the untouched kit from John and Karen Agee. Let them know that it's flying next you see them:).

Congrats on your first flight!

How Far East can you fly during phase I?

I asked for a 100 mile radius, but he said that was a bit much. He did however, give me a 50 nautical radius (100 NM diameter), so I'm not complaining. A 25 NM radius would be ridiculous for a plane that does 175 knots.

Congrats. Looks like your lower intake is removable. Can I ask why?

I installed the Rod Bower ram air inlet. Hopefully it gets over an inch more of manifold pressure at altitude (equals extra horsepower). The lower cowl being removable make life much easier with the inlet sticking so far forward. It's also nice to be able to do an oil change without removing the lower cowl.

I asked for a 100 mile radius, but he said that was a bit much. He did however, give me a 50 nautical radius (100 NM diameter), so I'm not complaining. A 25 NM radius would be ridiculous for a plane that does 175 knots.

Perhaps a lunch at Urbana, Muncie, or Columbus? A meeting of all the area RV-10s?

Congratulations!! That is a very beautiful plane.
Interesting to see you flying from right seat?
Johan

Per your call sign and "resume", I'm guessing you rotorheads just feel more comfortable flying PIC in the right seat? Perhaps you could show us a panel pic?
Beautiful airplane!

Doug
Seattle area

Some moderator is being a bit overzealous today. Seriously, a deletion due to technical comment?

It's also nice to be able to do an oil change without removing the lower cowl.

Some moderator is being a bit overzealous today. Seriously, a deletion due to technical comment?

Assuming that the deleted comment was regarding the OP's statement above, I agree (and if not, then just ignore this).
If this forum can't be used to offer unsolicited advice that is safety related, then in my opinion, it shouldn't even exist.

It isn't by accident that the RV community has evolved to the point where it would be recognized for improvements in safety that have occurred.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...s-aircraft-founder-established-safety-program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GxCFB65fo0

Safety from a mechanical aspect comes from doing inspections.
Your engine should get a detailed inspection at every opportunity.
During an oil change with the engine completely exposed is an important opportunity.
Please don't take any short cuts with that.

This forum is full of "hey, look what I found" posts of things that could have been very serious if another 50 hr cycle were to go by. Many of the reports I would have been embarrassed to make, because in all likelihood they were problems that didn't just happen yesterday..... they had been showing signs for a long time.

Last edited:
Assuming that the deleted comment was regarding the OP's statement above, I agree

It wasn't, and I must apologize for my previous comment. I was being brain dead. A post I assumed to be deleted was actually in the other thread for this airplane.

Per your call sign and "resume", I'm guessing you rotorheads just feel more comfortable flying PIC in the right seat? Perhaps you could show us a panel pic?
Beautiful airplane!

Doug
Seattle area

Here a few picts of the panel. It's an Aerosport carbon Fiber symmetrical panel and console with all Garmin Avionics. In my opinion, these two are two of the best vendors out there when it comes to experimental aviation.

Yes I'm a rotor head. With over 8,000 hours in helicopters I'm most comfortable with the control stick in my right hand and the power controls in my left hand, be it the collective in a helicopter, or the throttle and prop controls in an airplane:). I flew left seat a mostly in helicopters in the military, and can do it no problem in the airplane, but for the first flight in my 10, I wanted to be as comfortable as possible in a strange new (to me) machine).

2vj75dz.jpg

Inside view.

ma7zbp.jpg

It wasn't, and I must apologize for my previous comment. I was being brain dead. A post I assumed to be deleted was actually in the other thread for this airplane.

Dan and Scott:

Even though I MIGHT drain the oil by taking the scoop off and leaving the bottom cowl on, I would definitely have the top cowl off to change the filter. This would allow me to inspect most everything on the engine. The bottom scoop off leaves quite a bit of space to get to the goodies on the bottom of the engine too.

I do get the point though, to completely expose the engine for inspection (I was also an Aviation Safety Officer in the Army). Believe me, I have seen many times how the missing of small details in aviation has bitten someone in the backside !!!

Last edited:
I do get the point though, to completely expose the engine for inspection (I was also an Aviation Safety Officer in the Army). Believe me, I have seen many times how the missing of small details in aviation has bitten someone in the backside !!!

Glad to hear.

Something like checking the entire exhaust system for cracks is just one of the critical inspection items that would be difficult to do well with a bottom cowl is installed .... even if a large portion of the very bottom is removed.

Nice looking RV-10 BTW. I love seeing airplanes that rival the looks of an SR-22 at a fraction of the cost.

Back