- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 07:42 AM

Default Why so many RV-3/A/B for sale?

Greetings,

A couple years ago when I was shopping for an RV-3, there wasn't much to choose from. All I'd find was an occasional old -3 (fuselage tank era), and maybe a really expensive -3B.

Now a couple years later, it seems like there are a half dozen RV-3s for sale, but they've all been for sale for a while. Has the demand for this neat little plane dropped along with their value? I guess I just don't understand why the drop in demand for the -3. There was even a -3B kit with quickbuild wings on Barnstormers for a couple months, and it finally sold with an asking price of $5700, so it probably sold for less.

Just curious.
Rusty
RV-3B, SN-11351, purchased, current FOR SALE
A&P - 2018 dues paid
Old 05-16-2019, 07:43 AM

Could be this - https://www.vansaircraft.com/2017/12...nd-6-builders/
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 AM

I have noticed and have been wondering the same thing. It seems to be completed airplanes that have been languishing as of late. I can understand one not wanting to start a new build of a -3 because of pricing and delays (not to mention difficulty). Which would seem to me to increase the value and desirability of completed -3s. Hmm...curious.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM

I agree. I would have expected current, flying planes to at least hold their value, if not increase. I've seen the same half dozen or so planes for sale for months.

Is there a lull in used aircraft in general, or is it just the -3? I hadn't really followed the other models recently.

Rusty
A&P - 2018 dues paid
Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Perhaps it has something to do with the aging of the pilot population. The RV-3 is an older design and I expect that the majority of them were built a while ago. Plus the older ones needed the wing mods.

Dave
Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 AM

I know of three -3Bs for sale, so old age and wing mods shouldn't be the only issue. They've never been that practical, but that situation hasn't changed. It would be interesting if there was a Barnstormers archive to see ads from previous dates. I'm sure there's no such thing though.

Rusty
A&P - 2018 dues paid
Old 05-16-2019, 12:10 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

And people think that Van should engineer, produce, and sel pre-punched RV-3 kits! Fact is, the used fleet that is out there doesn’t have that high of a demand, and you can lay down your money and fly one away today - no building involved.

I have no idea why the market is the way it is either Rusty. Single seaters are always in a unique market niche’ - people expect them to be a dirt-cheap way in to an airplane when in fact, they cost almost as much as a two-seater to build. Engine, avionics, paint - they are about the same, unless you build really, really simple..... the kit price is only a third of the finished airplane, so its not Half of what a two-seater costs. Economics are a hard reality.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com

Last edited by Ironflight : 05-16-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:58 AM

Default My take on it

Two or more place aircraft satisfy the possibility that the Mrs. may want to go (and sometimes it happens, typically when the plane is newer). The single place plane satisfies only one need and it does it in such a manner that can only be explained after you fly one.

I think it is more than the RV grin, more to do with slipping the surly bonds...

RV-3 restored
Stearman - airworthy - first fight ferry to LA for DAR - March 27, 2019 Yeah! No squawks.
L3 building for San Diego Air and Space Museum
Helio Courier constructing
Old 05-19-2019, 05:32 AM

Default A few thoughts from an old guy

1- I have friends with 3A’s with wing mods. Although the mods are equal to the B wing (per Van), it is human to feel B is superior or safer.
2 - Although many of us old guys have owned Ragwings with fuse tanks and considered it normal, the tank in a 3 is a definite negative for leg room, instruments and general access.
3- The pilot population is aging and is comprised of less and less folks that are familiar with and are comfortable with a small light aircraft. They are likely to be younger with a need for another seat or two.
4- As others have stated, many 3’s are early vintage and build quality may not match those built after the gift known as VAF.
5- Not everyone has the “itch” to experience the “best it can be”. Otherwise there would be more motorcycle racers 😱
Clinton, IN
Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the additional comments. The potential desire for a second seat is certainly a good reason to avoid the -3, but that hasn't changed, so I don't think it explains why there seem to be so many for sale now.

I can definitely see younger folks being less tolerant of the older more basic -3 variants, but the -3B doesn't really fit in that category. I can also see a desire for more panel space, but with today's electronics, you can put anything you could ever want on an RV-3 panel. Maybe young folks don't have those same fighter pilot dreams we had, and now they have drone pilot dreams :-)

Cheers,
Rusty
A&P - 2018 dues paid