What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 battery replacement

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Garmin 430 had message saying backup battery needs replacing.

Replaced as shown in various YouTube vids but it still shows backup battery message.

Is the message a latching message that needs clearing via a menu ?

Thanks

correct battery voltage?

just thought about this. did you check the voltage of the new battery to be sure its voltage is correct. a battery that has laid around on the shelf for years could be stale and dropped a volt or so. I think it's only a 3.5 volt battery.

Garmin 430 had message saying backup battery needs replacing.

Replaced as shown in various YouTube vids but it still shows backup battery message.

Is the message a latching message that needs clearing via a menu ?

Thanks

Yes, they go bad and have to be replaced. I had to buy it thru avionics shop. A few years ago I received a dead battery from Garmin. They were shipping bad batteries. Did you test your "new" battery? I just replaced it again earlier this year and all is fine.

Issue seems to be the number of boards it gets attached to. Our 'spert is on it again and is allegedly paying more attention.

Hopefully it will be tested satis this evening :D

2 possible issues:
Battery has 3 pins that need to be soldered to the board. Inadequate soldering will result in a message upon startup. Second possibility is a weak battery that you installed. I received a brand new battery weaker than the one that we were replacing.

Now sent for diagnosis at local avionics shop and looks like a board fault. Hoping to do a trade in - certainly not sending back to Garmin :eek:

Keep us updated

I'll be interested in the outcome. I've got a 430 that eats batteries. I put one in and it last 6 weeks or so... then starts reporting low battery again. Been through this a few times.

I'm getting tempted to bring the wires out the back so I can use a couple AAA's and be able to change them without pulling and opening the box each time.

Back