What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Sport EFIS, VPX Sport and NavWorx?

Fearless

Well Known Member
Is anybody on this forum running a combination of the GRT Sport EFIS, the VPX Sport electrical buss and the NavWorx ADS600-B box? I haven't purchased the NavWorx box yet but would like to add later. I plan to install a GRT SX100 for the passenger side as well as a two axis autopilot after I am out of phase 1 when money becomes available and then get the ADS-B box. I have already prewired for the other EFIS and autopilot. The VPX Sport is tying up the 4th serial input and output line so I am trying to figure out how to interface the serial input and output requirements for the NavWorx. My GRT Sport has the internal GPS. According to the wiring diagram I am out of connections on the GRT Sport. Were you able to get around this? I am feeding a GTX327 with the encoder output from the EFIS. One set of wires is the inter connection for the pilot and passenger EFIS and a GPS signal is running to my ACK E04 ELT.

I was thinking of using the autopilot servo wire that Stein sells to run from the NavWorx box. That would give me two 20ga and five 22ga wires for the ADS-B installation. The wiring diagram calls for shielded for some of the connections so the servo wire might be a no-no. If I have to go with shielded thats no big deal. Wire is cheap in the grand scheme of things.

I want to try to prewire for the NavWorx box while I have access in the tailcone. I have the G3 Ignition system and VPX box installed under the forward top skin so I don't have room for the NavWorx box behind the panel.

Upgrading to the Horizon EFIS which has more ports is out of the question.

Might I suggest calling (616) 245-7700 and asking Sandy to connect you with Carlos. Then run your questions by him and see what he has to say. No better way to get your answer than from the source of the equipment you are working with.

When I've felt really "stuck", I've sent proposed wiring/pinout interface drawings to Carlos to look over. He's been extremely helpful and responsive.

Mike,

When you add your second screen, the SX100, it will have 4 serial ports. One of them will be used to talk to your primary SX200, and the other 3 can be used for whatever you want to connect. The GRT's will share all their information through the inter-screen connection.

If you have not already, upgrade with the high speed processor and you get another serial port. Five instead of four. About 1/10th the cost of going to a Horizon. :)

James

Mike,

I thought I'd might be able to tie into the ports on the second EFIS but wasn't really sure. I'll try to get ahold of GRT and have them explain to me how these various components talk to each other at what times.

James,

That would explain where a fifth port would come in on a Sport. I currently don't have the upgraded processor.

Thanks guys, thats what I was looking for - options. I'll go ahead and get the wires and antennas now to get that part taken care of.

I have been emailing with Mark at GRT.

Back