What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oversize Tyres ?

Pittsartist

Well Known Member
I operate from a grass strip here in England that is prone to getting soft in the winter months. At the moment my aircraft has completely stock wheels (Cleveland 500x5) and stock Vans wheel fairings.

Looking at G-IKON's build blog

http://gikonfinsh.blogspot.co.uk/2006/08/finish-kit-ordered-or-tires.html#links

It seems that 380-x150-5 sized tyres can be made to fit and will help in reducing ground pressure.

Has anyone else done this ?. With an RV-6 or 7 ?. Are the fairings the same ?.

I switched tyre (tire) size on my RV-8.

I was fortunate there was sufficient top and back clearance within my wheelpants to accommodate the larger width and diameter. I did need to enlarge the bottom opening.

If your wheel pants do not have enough clearance, then the effort to switch may be considerable for a flying airplane.

There are a number of posts and threads on the subject here on VAF:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...=safari#hl=en&q=site:vansairforce.com+380x150

Big Ones...

I operate from a grass strip here in England that is prone to getting soft in the winter months. At the moment my aircraft has completely stock wheels (Cleveland 500x5) and stock Vans wheel fairings.

Looking at G-IKON's build blog

http://gikonfinsh.blogspot.co.uk/2006/08/finish-kit-ordered-or-tires.html#links

It seems that 380-x150-5 sized tyres can be made to fit and will help in reducing ground pressure.

Yes sir!
Here's a great thread also listed above, I ran 380's on all my RV's and my HR2 per Steve Sampson's experience. They do require the newer Van's PR wheel pants and a bit of cutting, otherwise a win win...:)

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=27980&highlight=bushwheels+Rocket

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Made the Tire Change

I made the 380 change last month, like the fit and feel. Running with out wheel pants at the moment. Since I run with a 0540 I felt the bigger tire would help out.

380's Tyres

I went with 380's on my -6a and it helped with the rough field work. The wheel fairings had to be enlarged some but not too difficult to handle.

For my current -9 project, I am going with W60 6" wheels from Matco which will work on the standard Van's 1.25" axle, and 8.50x6 backcountry tundra tires. I tried these tires out on a Maule recently and the ride was incredibility smooth. Over the nose visibility will be limited with this setup but no matter as my mission for this -9 is dirt, grass, anthills, potholes, and so forth.

Good luck with your project!

I have the 380x150-5 for mains on my RV7A. They fit the stock vans wheel pants that came with my kit. 500x5 on the nose with RV10 nosewheel fork (machined to fit), and fairing. It rolls around in the hangar with ease.

Bevan

I mounted the wheel fairings higher during the initial build and after a couple of years fitted the 380 tires. Loved the tires - much easier to roll out of the hangar and manoeuvre on grass.
For me the problem was main gear shimmy. The tires weigh more, and I believe that contributes to the tendency to shimmy. Eventually I gave up and went back to stock tires.
Perhaps I was just unlucky. It took a lot of lead to get good static balance.

Are there any issues/downsides with using 380's on the main wheels and leaving the stock nose wheel on a 6A? Any effects on takeoffs/landings?

Jerald

Are there any issues/downsides with using 380's on the main wheels and leaving the stock nose wheel on a 6A? Any effects on takeoffs/landings?

Jerald

My main issue with the A models is the nose wheel. If any of the wheels should be bigger, wouldn't the nose wheel be the first choice? There is a guy just outside of Grand Junction that did an amazing job engineering a larger tire and mounting - gear system.

I am not knocking the Vans A design. It appears to be designed for smoother runways and has very good results. Im building one. The margin for error in an off airport landing or rough strip is small. If it can be improved, thats great.

Back