VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-10-2019, 03:55 PM

David: The empty space behind my panel is VERY limited because I have a LOT of Dynon stuff. So, I mounted the controller on the forward side of the bulkhead forward of the instrument panel. Not the easiest to get to with a slider, but it works. I mounted the backup battery forward of the fuel selector. I installed an Airflow Performance fuel pump forward of the fuel selector last year by making a plate that fits between the two floor stringers forward of the fuel selector. This plate is flush with the top of the stringers and attaches with screws thru the side of the stringers. The pump sits on top of this mounting plate. I lengthened this plate and mounted the back up battery on this plate, forward of the fuel pump. Everything is covered by a sheet metal console that attaches to the plate. I covered this console in black carpet to match my floor carpet and the console is barely noticeable. Bruce Estes
Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 PM

Toolbuilder: I don't check my P.M.'s on a regular basis so sorry for not getting back to you. I really prefer email as that gets checked often. Compressions are stock and I have the dual controller. Bruce Estes
Old 06-10-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalflier View Post
David: The empty space behind my panel is VERY limited because I have a LOT of Dynon stuff. So, I mounted the controller on the forward side of the bulkhead forward of the instrument panel. Not the easiest to get to with a slider, but it works. I mounted the backup battery forward of the fuel selector. I installed an Airflow Performance fuel pump forward of the fuel selector last year by making a plate that fits between the two floor stringers forward of the fuel selector. This plate is flush with the top of the stringers and attaches with screws thru the side of the stringers. The pump sits on top of this mounting plate. I lengthened this plate and mounted the back up battery on this plate, forward of the fuel pump. Everything is covered by a sheet metal console that attaches to the plate. I covered this console in black carpet to match my floor carpet and the console is barely noticeable. Bruce Estes
Bruce - thanks for the detailed write-up, it has given me some ideas.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 PM

Default It flies

Did my first flight today since installing the SDS CPI-2 electronic ignition, using only one system initially. Almost everything worked as expected, no surprises. Only flew for about one hour. I still donít have a tach signal on my Skyview from the SDS, but Dynon is going to help me tomorrow. The SDS is not plug and play like some other electronic ignitions, but has MANY features not available on any other system. Barry and Ross from SDS have been great to work with on this installation. Bruce Estes
Old 06-12-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalflier View Post
Did my first flight today since installing the SDS CPI-2 electronic ignition, using only one system initially. Almost everything worked as expected, no surprises. Only flew for about one hour. I still donít have a tach signal on my Skyview from the SDS, but Dynon is going to help me tomorrow. The SDS is not plug and play like some other electronic ignitions, but has MANY features not available on any other system. Barry and Ross from SDS have been great to work with on this installation. Bruce Estes
Great news Bruce! Glad it worked out.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Did you ever consider adding a prop balancing feature to the ignition module? You already know the crank position...
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

There is insufficient resolution with the triggering setup and there would be other hardware required. Something like this would have added 6-12 more months to development and product release on something which already took a year more than expected to develop test and test.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 431.9 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Default HELP

My CPI-2 is running but I have an issue that Dynon and SDS have not been able to solve. I get a 0 RPM reading from my Skyview when I kill the mag. I am running one side of of the dual SDS system, retaining my mag until I am comfortable with the SDS system. Has anyone who is running an earlier SDS CPI system and Dynon Skyview run into this and how did they solve the problem? Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks, Bruce Estes
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

So when you ground the magneto, you get no RPM reading on the Dynon? Is the magneto the source for your RPM signal?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

Dynon reads a mag/ignition signal. If one signal goes away, like a mag check, Dynon immediately reads the other signal. When I kill the mag during a runup mag check, the Dynon reads 0 rpm. There are two inputs to the Skyview.
Per Dynon, Iíve tried both of them. There is only one output from SDS. I tried with no resistors and then tried with resistors recommended by SDS. No success. The Skyview config options only deal with pulses per minute so I think Ishould get something, even if not accurate, for a tach readout from SDS to my Skyview. I am open to any suggestions to fix this problem.