VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 AM

Default Any Graphical TFRs for Canada?

Are there any graphical TFR products that superimpose a Canadian TFR's boundary upon a chart? I'm particularly interested in AB, BC, and YK. I've found BC Wildfire that shows where every match is struck, but no info on aviation impact. That seems restricted to lat/lon from a wx briefing.

John Siebold
Old 06-10-2019, 01:13 PM

TFR is a US term. In Canada the only avenue available to pilots is a check of NOTAMs. Best thing to do is call Flight Service 1-866-WX-BRIEF and ask for a review of weather and NOTAMs and ask specifically for fire-related airspace closures.

If calling from the US you can use 1-866-541-4105.

Unlike the US, Flight Service in Canada is NOT staffed by Lockheed contractors. Our FSS staff work for Nav Canada. They are, in my experience, highly professional and very interested in the safe conduct of your flight. I make my living in a customer-facing role and have had such exemplary customer service from FSS briefers that I have now asked on three separate occasions for the contact information for the briefer's manager. It has been a real pleasure to be able to provide positive feedback.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:29 AM

We have been told that NavCanada is working on a way to view NOTAMs graphically online, but they don't have a public facing product yet. In time I think we'll get there.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
We have been told that NavCanada is working on a way to view NOTAMs graphically online, but they don't have a public facing product yet. In time I think we'll get there.
The NOTAM system is severely outdated, both north and south of the 49th Parallel. Denoting restricted areas using LAT/LON is just STUPID because NOBODY takes the time to plot out those exact coordinates, especially in this day and age of no longer carrying paper charts.

There's no reason why graphical depictions of NOTAM data (obstructions, restricted airspace etc) can't be uploaded in digital format 4 times daily to all EFB data providers, then in turn uploaded to the pilot's own EFB app.

The only reason we still have NOTAMs is because nobody has found a financial justification to make the wholesale technology change that's required to bring NOTAM-like information into the 21st century.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:14 PM

Also, you should be aware that in Canada, you are not allowed to "operate an aircraft over a forest fire area, or over any area that is located within 5 NM of one, at an altitude of less than 3000 ft. AGL". This applies even if there is not a NOTAM for the fire.

Rob