What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin like backshells

brian257

Well Known Member
I am doing a panel that I want to be easily removable. I need a 25 pin or so shielded connector to connect a bunch of two and three conductor shielded cables from the panel to a harness with a bunch of cables that go from equipment in the panel to equipment off the panel. I think what would be ideal would be something like DB-25, DB-9 and maybe some DB-15 connectors. I really like the Garmin backshells with the ability to clamp a bunch of wires and also the ground connections for the shields. Searching the many thousands of backshells from Mouser I can't find anything like them. Does anybody kow of a particular brand and part number that is available or is Garmin the only one that makes these? I could get by with just a single connection point for the shields instead of the multiple points that Garmin has if I could find them.

Brian Kraut
EA Manufacturing, LLC
[email protected]

Other choices

You might try the mil-C-38999 series. These are round and have all kinds of backshells available.

I've bought a number of "install kits" from Garmin to get a good set of connector back shells (and pins, etc)... all of my back shells are Garmin. I love their design.

I have done the same as others. I have bought Garmin backshells for two PSE audio panels, a GTX327, and an EI CGR-30P that?s 9 of them that never had this type supplied. It?s kinda tricky to figure out which connector kits a guy needs.

Imho they need a completely separate catalog and sell these parts OTC to anyone.

Another vote for Garmin backshells

Brian,

Like you I spent a ****-ton of time looking for good quality, completely metal backshells, not plastic ones sprayed with a metal coating for shielding. I couldn't find anything better than Garmin's backshells, especially considering their integral strain relief and shield grounding lugs.

I paid more, but they were worth it - definitely a good value. And Stein delivers quickly!

HTH

Dave

ps - mods, do we really need the automatic function that changed the word c r a p to asterisks?

Last edited:
Positronic Supplier?

Positronic has an extensive line of metal shielded backshells for d-sub connectors with shield termination features such as ring terminal screws, etc. Garmin borrowed a few ideas from them.

Look at the photo at the bottom of the cover of the catalog
https://www.connectpositronic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/C007RevF1_DsubAccess.pdf

Be prepared for some sticker shock! Top shelf stuff.

Can you point to a supplier for this company? Digkey, Mouser, Allied, Newark don't list them.

Thanks

Can you point to a supplier for this company? Digkey, Mouser, Allied, Newark don't list them.

Thanks

Powell, PEI-Genesis, and my newest favorite, AirCostControl.
https://www.connectpositronic.com/en/channel-partners/

You might luck out and find some stock on the ones you're looking for.

For onsie-twosies, you're probably better off to download the G3X install guide, find LRU's with the connector types you need, and then order the Garmin connector kits for those LRUs. Also not cheap, but they are similarly good stuff and probably easier to find.

Back