What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mid-cabin cover storage

N546RV

Well Known Member
Wondering if anyone can share photos/descriptions of storage solutions they created in the mid-cabin area of an -8. I've been thinking about making a covered storage bin out of the right-hand cover, seems to be a decent location.

Additionally, I just got in a pile of fiberglass materials, and I was thinking that a storage bin bonded to the bottom of the cover might make for a decent introductory glass project. I figure maybe a nice deep bin with a hinged, latching cover on top. Maybe even a cupholder for water bottles.

What did you folks do here? Anything? I also see some people mount a fire extinguisher on the right-hand cover, that would conflict pretty heavily with my storage idea.

Recent article in Kitplanes regarding this subject.

Recently had an article on this subject and coincidentally on an RV 8. A nice design, the author basically created cargo netting type pouches to be installed in the spaces along the sides of the cockpit. Cargo netting was used as it's lightweight and also the contents would not spill out during aerobatics. Contact me via private message for more info.

Charlie

I use elastic net storage magazine holders, avail from EBay. I have a few sticky backed to the sidewalks of my 8, great idea👍

By "mid-cabin", I think you mean these covers, not the sidewall pockets:
An idea I had. I'll be adding on a tie-down for the ox cylinders, or using as a big cup-holder!

IMG-1204.jpg

Yup, that's the spot. Though the mesh-bag ideas have been interesting as well.

I may go ahead and work on fabbing up a bin. Worst case, it's not useful and I just buy a new cover plate to replace it with...

By "mid-cabin", I think you mean these covers, not the sidewall pockets:
An idea I had. I'll be adding on a tie-down for the ox cylinders, or using as a big cup-holder!

IMG-1204.jpg

Wow! Cup holders in an -8. That's brilliant. I have my halon fire extinguisher mounted there, but with the cup holders, I could have the fire extinguisher AND an O2 bottle. Somehow I'm not sure those two things should be mounted in proximity - but as long as the contents stay where they are supposed to, it would work.

Back