What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting of the side skin to F-01204G-L

Crafting N112DR

Well Known Member
I'm trying to figure out why I am not supposed to rivet the upper portion of the side skin to F-01204G-L (side Bulkhead). (see RED) I don't see any reason not to, but I yield to the wisdom that is Van's until someone tells me otherwise. (See page 23iS/U-10)

az6yr5.jpg

Interesting observation, David. I studied page 23iS/U07 and 23iS/U10 and they don?t seem to be saying the same thing. On page 10, it definitely looks like you shouldn?t rivet those holes. However, on page 7, the holes that aren?t supposed to be riveted are marked with a triangle, but the holes you?re asking about don?t have a triangle.

Sounds like a good question for tech support. Please let us know what they say.

I'm trying to figure out why I am not supposed to rivet the upper portion of the side skin to F-01204G-L (side Bulkhead). (see RED) I don't see any reason not to, but I yield to the wisdom that is Van's until someone tells me otherwise. (See page 23iS/U-10)

My guess is that it has something to do with the fuel tank install that comes later. My old style kit doesn't even have those holes.

Jim

My guess is that it has something to do with the fuel tank install that comes later. My old style kit doesn't even have those holes.

Jim
I have thought of that to, but the fuel tank does not attach to the holes or any kind if support structural that are associated with the open holes. The tank is supposed only by three attachment points using 3 bolts. I just think it’s a typo. I will find out more on Monday I hope.

David/Doug,

Maybe time to split the forum or ask people to define whether it is a Mk1 RV12 or a Mk 2.

This is a Mk2 as we legacy builders have different structure around there.

David/Doug,

Maybe time to split the forum or ask people to define whether it is a Mk1 RV12 or a Mk 2.

This is a Mk2 as we legacy builders have different structure around there.
I second that, there are enough differences in the structure, fuel system, electrical and engine to warrant another model. I like Mike's idea, "RV-12 Mk1" and "RV-12 Mk2". To confuse things even more the Mk2 (I guess for now it's the iS fuselage) fuselage is also available with the ULS engine option.

Mothership: "There's something very important I forgot to tell you."
VAF: "What?"
Mothership: "Don't cross the streams."
VAF: "Why?"
Mothership: "It would be bad."
VAF: "I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?"
Mothership: "Try to imagine every RV-12's as you know it stopping instantaneously, and every molecule exploding at the speed of light."

David/Doug,

Not a big deal either way, but I?d leave all the RV-12s in the same forum. Looking at the entire airplane, not just the fuselage, there are a lot of parts in common between the two models. To me, having two different fuselages and two different engines isn?t that different from other RV models that are available in taildragger and tri-gear configurations and can be powered by a wide variety of engines.

I definitely agree that you should say whether it?s Gen 1 or Gen 2, but you can also tell if someone refers to a page in the plans.

For Gen 1, the pages are numbered by like this: Page 20-05.

For the iS fuselage, pages are typically labeled like this: Page 20iS/U-05.

Pages that are only for 912 iS-powered aircraft look like this: Page 27iS-05.

Pages that are only for 912 ULS-powered aircraft look like this: Page 27U-05.

Simply needs to be in the title.

The rest would be self explanatory

Love the GB ref - marvellous !

Just don't refer to the 12 as a dog though...... Zuul !

I have thought of that to, but the fuel tank does not attach to the holes or any kind if support structural that are associated with the open holes. The tank is supposed only by three attachment points using 3 bolts. I just think it?s a typo. I will find out more on Monday I hope.

I'm surprised that the new transverse fuel tank in the IS fuselage only attaches with 3 bolts.

Jim

Well, I read somewhere that the space shuttle was attached to the 747 carrier aircraft with only 3 bolts...

David.............thanks for posting the drawing of the "IS" tank install. I've been curious about it.

Did you ever get your mystery solved about the line of rivets not being installed?

Jim

David.............thanks for posting the drawing of the "IS" tank install. I've been curious about it.

Did you ever get your mystery solved about the line of rivets not being installed?

Jim
I have not, I sent a message yesterday to Sterling at Vans and sent a followup today and as of 1130 EST No Joy!! Maybe Scott can Help?

az6yr5.jpg

It is a drawing error that will be corrected.
The holes marked within the red area should be LP4-3

Back