What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EarthX and Van's Aircraft announcement!

EarthX Lithium

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Thank you Vans Forum for allowing us to participate here and as promised, the readers of this forum will be the first to hear of big news and here it is!

After 2 years of working with the engineering and marketing departments at Van's aircraft, we are very excited to announce that Van's has a new aircraft they are debuting at Oshkosh 2017, and the EarthX battery is part of the build! There will be many more exciting announcements before the end of 2017 too.......but we can't let the cat out of the bag yet. :D You can read all about it at the below press release link.

http://earthxbatteries.com/earthx-i...hium-battery-new-rotax-912is-equipped-rv-12is

RV-12 vs. RV-12iS

Van's has redesigned the RV-12 and now has a new model number to reflect this, the RV-12iS. They consider it a "new" airplane due to the amount of changes but it is based off of the RV-12 so they retained that part of the name. They are no longer going to make the RV-12 as you knew it.

I've just become a traitor and taken delivery of a Bearhawk Bravo quick-build. I was bit worried VANS might have designed a similar aircraft and I might have been sorry. Having said that, I have absolutely no complaints over the Bearhawk which looks like an awesome aeroplane.

About time VANS came out with a C185 beater.......

I also feel like a traitor!

I bought the plans to the Bearhawk B and the Pegazair (2 place side-by-side STOL) which has been heavily modified in the US. Both have kits. However, after building RV aircraft my skills weren't up to the level of tube and fabric and my wallet wasn't up to the kit prices. I bought an untouched Glastar kit as my high wing/training aircraft.

Here's the Van's part. Vlad's article made me wish I hadn't put off finishing my RV-9 until the Star is built. What a sweet machine the 9 is. It's still on my plate however and will be my next after the Star.

I keep hoping that Van's will make us regret doing someone else's high wing and come out with their own version! What an aircraft that would be!

Bob

I've just become a traitor and taken delivery of a Bearhawk Bravo quick-build. I was bit worried VANS might have designed a similar aircraft and I might have been sorry. Having said that, I have absolutely no complaints over the Bearhawk which looks like an awesome aeroplane.

About time VANS came out with a C185 beater.......

There are quite a few of us Bearhawk "traitors" in the Vans community :) I still have and fly my RV-8 while I scratch build Bearhawk.

Traitors?

For what it's worth, I don't think having different planes makes anybody a traitor. I personally have multiple vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.) as they each bring their own qualities and features to the table. They are all in different colors too! Variety is the spice of life, right? :eek:

Huh

For what it's worth, I don't think having different planes makes anybody a traitor. I personally have multiple vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.) as they each bring their own qualities and features to the table. They are all in different colors too! Variety is the spice of life, right? :eek:

I keep on telling my wife that.

What is the weight difference between the led acid and the Earth X.

It depends on which lead acid battery you are using. But for the EarthX line, the weight range is 3.9 pounds for the ETX680C, 4.1 pounds for the ETX680, 4.9 pounds for the ETX900 and 7.7 pounds for the ETX1200.

If you are using the PC680 lead acid, it's spec's are listed as 15.4 pounds.

Leaving for Oshkosh

Thank you all for the questions and private messages! I just wanted to let you know that I am headed out for Oshkosh on Friday and will not have the time I don't think to check in on this forum for the next week so if you want to reach me, please email me at [email protected].

Battery box

Is the ETX680 or ETX900 going to fit in the vans supplied RV7/9 battery box, or do you need to replace with your offering?
cheers Patrick

So, I may be out of the loop, but, any concerns about the catching on fire thing?

Yes, you are. These are lithium iron phosphate batteries, NOT the same thermally volatile chemistry that you've seen bursting into flames in the news.

Back