What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

extension below panel

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm looking at doing some panel mods. Some side-by-side RV's have installed a horizontal strip across the the bottom of their panel, about 2" wide, for mounting various switches, push-pull knobs etc. I'm wondering what people have used for material for this. Many of them use a piece about 2" wide that have a nice rounded bend at the bottom edge.
One local builder used a piece of Van's aluminum packing material for this (this is not an option for me, obviously, since I've long since discarded all of that).
Another option is to get some thick aluminum sheet stock and bend it myself.
I'm wondering what other people have used... is there a standard Vans par that can be repurposed for this?

When I did my panel, I needed extra at the bottom for large switches. Van's sells a panel that is 2" taller. I'll look to see if I can find the number.

The taller panel won't work for me, as I made a modular panel (I've been flying behind it for 9 years). To do I want I want, I need to hang a separate horizontal strip below the existing panel.

Have put 2" panel strips below the main panel on a number of RVs. These were fabricated from .063 bent in a 'S' shape, vertical drop about 2". The top flange of the 'S' strip sits atop the instrument lower flange and mounted with screws from below. The resulting 1" set back of the strip face worked great with toggle switches as it provided a bit of protection from other components on the instrument panel.
A local metal fabrication shop should have some small pieces of 6061 that they could bend up for you. 6061 would accommodate tighter radius bends.

I cut the bottom off my stock panel with the nice bend in it tall enough to hold my switches and a flange to mount nut plates to screw flat .063 stock for my panel on the front of it. I traced the curve of the top stock panel onto my flat .063 stock to fit the factory top mounting points. Look at how he RV 10 plans buildntue panel.

I did that early on for my throttle/mix/prop controls, and removed it - it was in the way for legroom.

Used 2 inch angle from HD on my original panel, but

ordered the "extended" panel when I did the entire upgrade.

Ron

I have a 2"ish switch panel below my main panel, and I too have a modular panel configuration. I had that piece made at front panel express because I wanted it powder coated and engraved. I had it cut from 0.090" material. I used a strip of 1/16"x3/4" angle behind the upper edge. That piece will be tied to the lower flange of the main panel. It sounds like you could use this approach.

I did that early on for my throttle/mix/prop controls, and removed it - it was in the way for legroom.

Yes, can be a significant leg room issue if you're on the taller side. I got a ride in an extended-panel -9A...extremely uncomfortable, which drove the decision to go standard with my plane.

Back