Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2017, 06:48 AM

If you look at the links on the Van's website, you can find Carl and Rafael's site for their RV-14A build. It has been very helpful to me.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:12 AM

Carl and Rafael's site is fantastic (rv14a.com). A number of others out there that are also excellent.

Kevin's site (http://kevinsrv14a.blogspot.ca/p/mar...orking_26.html) has links to a bunch of others and many of these are also very good.

Mine is linked on Kevin's site, but I don't know that I'd recommend it to anyone : my main purpose is documentation to support my eventual completion/airworthiness process.

TB
Old 11-16-2017, 09:23 AM

Here's a link to mine, first flight was in late June. Made it to Oshkosh and now have just over 100 hours.

http://n626km.com/RV-14.html

Not as in depth as my Sonex site, or some other 14 sites, but it covers a lot of ground.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 11-17-2017, 02:57 PM

There's not much actual aircraft building on my website yet, but I'm pretty detailed in my descriptions. My day job is with a company that sounds like a bouncing spring and builds airplanes so I can't seem to break that habit.

If you want to see how I set up my shop there's lots there. I'm hoping to touch the first parts this weekend, but I'm a bit nervous about it. I feel I need to practice on inconsequential stuff first.
RV-14A Kit#140433
Working on: Empennage
Construction log - mykitlog.com\ajackson
Dues paid on 2 November 2017
Old 11-17-2017, 11:41 PM

I've been in IT for almost 25 years. The idea of blogging or doing ANY kind of work outside of my 9-5 IT job relating to blogging or web design makes me break out in hives. The best I can do is sped up video feed with an enigmatic and usually slightly drunken voice over commentary track.
RV-14 #140394
Empennage - done
Wings - Under construction
YouTube Build Channel
Old 11-18-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I've been in IT for almost 25 years. The idea of blogging or doing ANY kind of work outside of my 9-5 IT job relating to blogging or web design makes me break out in hives. The best I can do is sped up video feed with an enigmatic and usually slightly drunken voice over commentary track.
Same here .. I just setup a camera to start recording when there is motion in the shop and then every night they automatically upload to Vimeo ..

Unfortunately there have been several nights that I've stumbled down to the shop to turn off the air compressor at 3am half (hopefully half) naked .. viewers beware
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 11-18-2017, 09:33 AM

A word of caution. Most websites are first time builders like yourself. It is comforting to read how other builders, just ahead of yourself, are dealing with issues, but carefully read the RV14 manual first before following any website tips or instructions. Often times something done incorrectly on the tail, for example, will not become apparent until you try to put the tail on the aircraft. The errors on builder websites are not always corrected when found during later assembly. Most certainly read on and learn as much as possible but when in doubt stick with the plans or call Van's hot line, they are very helpful.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 11-18-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Same here .. I just setup a camera to start recording when there is motion in the shop and then every night they automatically upload to Vimeo ..

Unfortunately there have been several nights that I've stumbled down to the shop to turn off the air compressor at 3am half (hopefully half) naked .. viewers beware
Links or it doesn't exist
RV-14 #140394
Empennage - done
Wings - Under construction
YouTube Build Channel
Old 11-25-2017, 06:08 PM

My build site is KevinsRV14A.com I have many links to many other great RV14 builders on the site. Check out the "RV Story" link along with many others. Mine is a slowww build beginning with the construction of the workshop before ordering the empennage and aircraft tools. I've already made a deposit on the empennage kit to keep me on track! Can't wait to begin!

Last edited by KevinPaul : 11-26-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
A word of caution. Most websites are first time builders like yourself. It is comforting to read how other builders, just ahead of yourself, are dealing with issues, but carefully read the RV14 manual first before following any website tips or instructions. Often times something done incorrectly on the tail, for example, will not become apparent until you try to put the tail on the aircraft. The errors on builder websites are not always corrected when found during later assembly. Most certainly read on and learn as much as possible but when in doubt stick with the plans or call Van's hot line, they are very helpful.
Very good observation Tom. I've spent my professional life as an aircraft structural analyst (over 30 years) so I know what good and bad aircraft structure looks like. However, I'm very much a novice when it comes to actually creating parts and assemblies. That's part of the reason I got into this build, so I can learn that side of things.

Should you trust my advice on stress analysis, durability and damage tolerance issues? Most likely. I'm very knowledgeable on these matters.

Should you trust my advice on riveting, power tool usage or priming? Maybe not so much. I'm just now learning the fine details of these things.

When in doubt, call Van's!
RV-14A Kit#140433
Working on: Empennage
Construction log - mykitlog.com\ajackson
Dues paid on 2 November 2017