- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 07:06 AM

Default I did it not so long ago

Hi Jim

I did mine just the other day.

I attached the plate underneath the aircraft and drilled out holes for the rivets.

Pictures on my site
http://rv6aj.wordpress.com/2013/05/0...-pilot-servos/

It fits and works great in this spot.

Hope it helps
Cheers
AJ

Completed - RV6
http://rv6aj.wordpress.com/
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM

Jim, I just finished a a Trutrak install, wth the roll servo under the left seat. Pretty easy to get to and to inspect on annual. My ribs were a tad closer together that spec so I installed an 032 AL shim under the servo bracket to level things out - sounds like same issue you have. Trutrak supplies a doubler plate for the outside of the belly skin.

All fits well, no interference with manual aileron trim, and first two flights have gone well. Be careful with setback from front spar to servo bracket, if too far forward servo arm bolt will contact aileron pushrod at full forward stick, too far aft and servo pushrod contacts aft edge of rib lightening hole. Just measure carefully
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM

Jim

I installed min a couple of months ago. Due to some preexisting antennas I mounted mine on the copilot side, in the last "bay" as far back as I could get it. It fit between the ribs flat on the belly skin. I did install the provided plate on the outside of the skin as directed. It will likely oil can too much without it.

I did have to relieve the holes in the ribs slightly to prevent fouling of the control arm. I'll look and see if I have any pics.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:58 PM

Default Thank you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Time View Post
Jim, I just finished a a Trutrak install, wth the roll servo under the left seat. Pretty easy to get to and to inspect on annual. My ribs were a tad closer together that spec so I installed an 032 AL shim under the servo bracket to level things out - sounds like same issue you have. Trutrak supplies a doubler plate for the outside of the belly skin.

All fits well, no interference with manual aileron trim, and first two flights have gone well. Be careful with setback from front spar to servo bracket, if too far forward servo arm bolt will contact aileron pushrod at full forward stick, too far aft and servo pushrod contacts aft edge of rib lightening hole. Just measure carefully
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I believe my ribs must be a bit closer than spec as well. I think I will plan to use a shim underneath just like you did. My servos came from GRT, and they did not supply a doubler plate for the belly skin. I am thinking a hunk of .040 AL should work. Does that sound about right?

Thank you
GRT Sport & GRT AP
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Jim, .040 sounds about right for that exterior doubler. As mentioned, for the shim inside, to bring the mounting surface up level with the rib flange, I think I used .032 (whatever the rib material thickness is, I know I easily found some scrap in the bin of the same thickness).
Old 07-26-2013, 11:24 PM

Trutrak servos come with installation diagrams for the -6 which puts the servo under the seat. The install according to their diagrams is straight forward. Move the servo as far forward as it will naturally go without interfering with the pushrod. The pictures above look like my installation.
There is a reinforcing plate that I used under the servo.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:35 PM

Default RV-6 roll pilot roll servo location.

Bear in mind that the RV-6 aileron bellcrank is mounted on a wing rib and not on the spar as in later RVís. The rib location is not as strong. Early -6ís experienced some cracking of the wing skin where there is a stiffener connecting the rib with the bellcrank to the upper wing skin. The same is true of the RV-4 I built. I mounted the servo under the seat.