- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Default Opinions Wanted

I'm in the initial stages of planning out my wire runs, and I'm looking for feedback on my proposed location of the forest of tabs grounding block. I don't want to give up the lower forward baggage space if I can help it, and I don't like the Van's proposed frame grounding bolt location due to potential interference with the rudders if I installed a FOT there. (I'm 6'2" with size 13 rudder pushers.)

What I'm thinking at the moment is to place the main FOT on the left side of the firewall between the throttle/prop/mixture cables and the fuel line. (48 tabs on the cabin side, 24 tabs on the engine side.) That will keep the wires away from my feet and preserve the baggage hold for baggage. I'm going to mount the battery on the firewall, so this will require a heavy grounding cable from the battery on the right side of the FW to the FOT on the left, but I think that's an acceptable solution given my other concerns.

I'm also considering adding an insulated avionics FOT (single sided, 24 tabs, similar to what Blain made in the previous post) and mounting it to the F-866A Bulkhead above the brake line F-866D Mounting Plate. (I'm planning a G-3X, GTN 650, G-5, GTR 20, GTX45R set up.)

I made cardboard FOT templates and taped them into position. In the first photo, the main is circled in blue and the avionics is circled in red.

Avionics FOT:

Main FOT, cabin side:

Main FOT, firewall side:

Do any of these planned locations interfere with other requirements or any other issues with mounting FOTs in these locations?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Tail kit completed on Feb 8, 2012 (180 hrs)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2017
Old 12-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Default forest of tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihon_Ni View Post

What I'm thinking at the moment is to place the main FOT on the left side of the firewall between the throttle/prop/mixture cables and the fuel line. (48 tabs on the cabin side, 24 tabs on the engine side.) That will keep the wires away from my feet and preserve the baggage hold for baggage. I'm going to mount the battery on the firewall, so this will require a heavy grounding cable from the battery on the right side of the FW to the FOT on the left, but I think that's an acceptable solution given my other concerns.

I'm also considering adding an insulated avionics FOT (single sided, 24 tabs, similar to what Blain made in the previous post) and mounting it to the F-866A Bulkhead above the brake line F-866D Mounting Plate. (I'm planning a G-3X, GTN 650, G-5, GTR 20, GTX45R set up.)

The avionics ground is a good idea - I'm going to do it like the Aeroelectric connection recommends and use a DB-25 for that.

For the tabs, your location near the fuel pump seems like it will not be that easy to access once the F821PP is installed. Not impossible, but not easy.

My current (new) plan is to have a small FOT on the front of the FW, and have one behind the panel, with the ground wires running from the FW side FOT battery ground.

I'm trying to keep as much wiring away from the fuel pump area.

Last edited by rv8ch : 12-03-2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-2017, 02:06 PM

Rob, I see you also have an access door in the fwd baggage area to reach the rear of the instrument panel.
Here is what I did:
I mounted several cable blocks including a ground block on the rear side of the access door. Now when I open that door there is very easy access to the wiring as the cable blocks are laying right in front of you. I also put stickers beside them showing which circuit is each wire connection. Two wires (for redundancy) are going from the ground block to the firewall.
PM me if you like to see pictures. Sorry canīt post pics because of the Photobucket issue.

RV-8, IO-375, P-Mags, 74RV Prop, flight testing