VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How important was the existence of VAF in your decision to build an RV.
It was not a factor. 95 43.98%
It was a factor. 26 12.04%
It was a significant factor. 84 38.89%
It was the most important factor. 11 5.09%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:54 PM

Default THIS POLL IS ONLY OPEN TO BUILDERS WHO COMMENCED CONSTRUCTION AFTER JANUARY 2005

THIS POLL IS ONLY OPEN TO BUILDERS WHO COMMENCED CONSTRUCTION AFTER JANUARY 2005

THIS POLL IS ONLY OPEN TO BUILDERS WHO COMMENCED CONSTRUCTION AFTER JANUARY 2005

This poll has been established to gauge the importance that builders placed on the existence of VansAirforce as a resource when they opted to build their RV.

I set up a similar poll several days ago but I rushed into it and it was logically flawed and I could not amend it. So I deleted that poll.

The problem with the first poll is that I opened it up to both builders and buyers. But it was obvious in hindsight that buyers of completed RVs do not have the same need for technical resources as builders.

So this poll is for BUILDERS ONLY. Additionally it is only for builders who COMMENCED CONSTRUCTION AFTER JANUARY 2005 because that is the date of the inauguration of VansAirforce.net as a web based forum (its current format). It is obviously not relevant to be voting on the influence of VAF forum in the period before it existed !!!

Please vote if you qualify. I am hoping to get a large number of voters so that the outcome can be seen to have substance.

In the end these statistics will probably be of considerable interest to a number of parties, including Vans Aircraft.

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 12-06-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:53 AM

Default Factor?

I started building before Doug started this web site, yahoo groups too.

Doug’s web site has been a major part of my building Van’s Kits and the Flying Part Too! Flying with and meeting up with other RV people is the best. The calendar and casual post about lunch meetings are very important
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 12-06-2017, 08:05 AM

Slightly different twist. VAF is one of the reasons I chose to build something other than an RV. On balance, VAF is also one of the reasons why I convinced myself I could build rather than buy a flying airplane. VAF is a terrific resource.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

I voted "not a factor" due to the fact I had already started the RV 10 prior to discovering VAF.

However, VAF saved me many $$$$ and months if not years of build time.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, many of us are in the same boat, MIke, as having been part of building long before Doug's site, and even the Internet.

There's no doubt as to the contribution of this site, though, for both new builders, repeat builders, and buyers of AB aircraft. For some of us, it is a place where it is now our turn to contribute, as some did for us a long time ago. (no, they didn't use smoke signals and drums. )

It is rare that I find someone who is building and is NOT aware of this site. The area that does "concern" me is that the 2nd and 3rd owner segment of AB aircraft tend to be unaware of it, as well as other sources of information.

I think everyone who posts an airplane for sale on this website should consider telling the new buyer about it and even making a donation and signing them up, or something like that. No, Doug didn't pay me to say that!

There's a really good chance that a majority of these 10K RV's now flying will be owned by a non-builder in the not-too-distant future, unless we discover the Fountain of Youth.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 12-06-2017, 09:12 AM

It was not a factor because I started the -6A in 1985 before the list started (I think). Doug, good place for a short history.

Is was a major influence on my -10. I spent hours researching various mods like door seals, window glue, interior finishes etc. You learn a lot of details and get good with the search engine and end up with a better ship. If you asked how important is the list to my current or last RV project I bet the answer would be about 99% positive!

What I miss is the photo situation, lots of good info is being lost.
RV-6A 596S flying since '99 (Sold)
HP-18 5596S flying since '89
RV-10 996S tail, quick build wing and slow build fues., - dual Skyviews with complete system, two radio and not much else. Interior completely finished with Zolatone. CF plenum, interior complete. 1624 lbs, FLYING after a 21.5 month build.

Last edited by bpattonsoa : 12-06-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Default Key word "commencing" to build

VAF was around but unknown to me at the commencement of my decision to build, or build an RV. However, since I discovered VAF and started following ... it's immensely contributed to successful completion of my first RV.

Some fellow ("Sharpie") was around the net in my early days of building and it was his photos and descriptions that helped me in the beginning. Another contributor was the development of KitLog and the information that is posted by builders. (There were only a few RV-6/6A's in the beginning but now 28 "builders" of those models). Related information is avail on all models, and many other brands but the specifics are sometimes important.

VAF focus is IMHO a community of folks wandering in and out of the virtual shop, contributing and sharing common interests mainly well centered on RV's and closely mixed subjects. It's well moderated and timely news and discussions. With forays into secondary worlds of aviation subjects which supplement the core. VAF is the infrastructure of the RV followers.
VP-X Sport, Dynon SkyView, VFR day
(FFZ) Mesa, AZ - N234GB -
www.mykitlog.com/garyc
Old 12-06-2017, 09:41 AM

For me it played a very large part. Reading through the archives prior to purchasing my RV14 kit in Feb 2014 it provided inspiration and built excitement on what could be accomplished. It created a sense of community that I would have support as a first time builder. That and the visit to the Factory cemented the decision. (don’t let Darryl take your wife flying, cost me 100k!)

Over the past several years I have researched most aspects of my build and I still read it on a daily basis. I have met some very interesting people and made a few good friends in the process so far.

DR does a great job with running the site.

Back to building ...... Jim

Serial 140118

Last edited by Driving '67 : 12-06-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:48 AM

Default Extensively used but not a decision factor

My decision to build an RV was totally driven by Dan Checkoway's build/fly web site back in the day. I binge read his entire site and it lit the RV build fire under me.
That said, I made extensive use of Van's Air Force during my 7 year build even though I didn't really discover it until almost a year in.

EDIT: I was qualified to take the poll - got the bug in 2006, started the build in 2007, first flight in 2014.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
285 hours and counting . . . .
Now based at Moontown (3M5)

Last edited by Dan Langhout : 12-06-2017 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Added poll taking qualifications
Old 12-06-2017, 10:10 AM

Initially during the 2 years that I spent trying to decide if/what to build two things were instrumental, the first was looking at and speaking with the builder of an RV 6 who said “whatever you build make sure it is aluminum”, that led to research into Vans aircraft and seeing the factory support evidenced by what the builders were saying and seeing the amount of information that was being shared I decided to do it. As a first time builder of an RV 3 and initially not having other builders close by for advice this was the go to place to help figure stuff out. The RV3 kit and plans is basic but entirely adequate, (I think) however there are times when it really helps and reassures to read a method or see a pic of the very part that you are working on. So thanks to Doug and also an enormous thanks to all the builders of 3’s 4’s and early RV6 who have generously put up their build logs and photos, Paul Dye and Louise, Rob Holmes, Randy Lervold, John Nystrom, Dave Paule among many others from whom I have gleaned and saved pics of pretty much every part of an RV3 build. As my project approaches the 90% / 90% and I progress through panel and fwf no doubt there will be more searching of the forums. Thanks again Doug Reeves for a priceless resource.
Russell