VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 11-30-2017, 11:18 AM
JumpJack JumpJack is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: OC, SoCal
Posts: 5
Default IO-540 Oil Dipstick

Hello all,

I have been searching for a replacement dipstick, for the 540 that came out of our Lancair. It originally came with markings on it that did not match up with actual levels. So, I used a pipe cutter to make new marks, and that has always worked ok. The problem is thereís two sets of markings, one with numbers and mine with just the lines. Itís always a little confusing.
So, 2 questions: Where is the best place to source a replacement? Iíve found the appropriate part number (LW-14756), and a few places that carry it, but there are no images so I have no idea what Iím actually getting.
Second, whatís the best way to mark it? (Not get the levels, I have that) but how to actually mark the tube with numbers and tick marks.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
__________________
Jack W.
RV-10 Wings in Progress
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Bluelabel's Avatar
Bluelabel Bluelabel is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 401
Default

I have the exact same issue, and would love to find an answer.
__________________
John Walker
RV-10 N265WD
"Miss Whiskey Delta"
BPE IO-540, FULL EFII
KMYF, San Diego, Ca.
KEOS, Neosho, MO

Crew Lead on the
Grove Aero Super Legacy Reno Racer,
twin turbo, IO-540,
full EFII management system
!

"so I got that going for me... which is nice."
2017 Dues Paid"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2017, 12:05 PM
ChuckEllis90b ChuckEllis90b is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 10
Default

I have a dipstick and adapter for sale. It came off my IO-540. Number 7360 is in raised lettering. $50 plus shipping. If interested contact me at Chuckellis90b@netscape.net

Last edited by rv7boy : 12-06-2017 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Rules for ads...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-2017, 04:35 PM
JumpJack JumpJack is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: OC, SoCal
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckEllis90b View Post
I have a dipstick and adapter for sale. It came off my IO-540. Number 7360 is in raised lettering. $50 plus shipping. If interested contact me at Chuckellis90b@netscape.net
Thanks Chuck, but the problem might be he same. I doubt the markings will line up with the oil levels on my engine. If you have a picture, maybe we could measure from the top and see where yours are marked compared to mine
__________________
Jack W.
RV-10 Wings in Progress

Last edited by rv7boy : 12-09-2017 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Rules for ads (in quoted post)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-2017, 04:53 PM
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Paddy is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 88
Default Dipstick

If you clean the dipstick well with some alcohol, you can mark it with a sharpie. I've done this to mark the intervals between the 3qt increments on my own engine's dipstick. The marks stay on surprisingly well and could just as easily be put to work to distinguish the marks you want from those you don't. Works well for making a fuel dipstick too with some acrylic tube. Sharpies seem impervious to petroleum products, but not isopropyl alcohol.
__________________
RV-10
Flying as of 10/30/16 after 8 yrs building
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 AM
1001001's Avatar
1001001 1001001 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Just Minutes from KBVI!
Posts: 660
Default

If you want to delete the original lines, you might find someone who has a small lathe and just turn the diameter down there. Use a nice radiused tool and there should be no question which are the correct reference lines.

As far as marking numbers, I'd suggest getting a small stamping set from Harbor Freight and just directly stamp the numbers in place. To do it best, you can make a stamping guide by through-drilling a block of wood with a drill of the same diameter as the dipstick and then cut the block in half through the axis of the hole. Then drill a cross-hole slightly smaller than your stamps and finish the edges with a small file (if the stamps are square). Then clamp the dipstick in a vise using the wood block. The cross-hole will then align the stamp properly and prevent it slipping off the dipstick when you mark it. If you are really careful you can probably do without the guide block as long as you clamp the dipstick down well when you are marking it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Skysailor Skysailor is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 159
Default There is a roll pin

There is a roll pin in the top of the dipstick that goes horizontally through the cap. Carefully measure from the cap to the 12 Qt line. Drive the roll pin out of the dipstick assembly. Insert new dipstick to same measurement. Drill new dipstick for roll pin and cut off any excess above the cap. Drive in new roll pin.
__________________
RV4

Paid through 2018! How about you?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-01-2017, 08:51 AM
659JR 659JR is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: delta, co
Posts: 172
Default

I have a LW-14756 17 13/16 from the flange to the bottom of the stick, 13 3/8 at 12qt, 14 1/4 at 9qt, 15 5/8 at 6qt and 16 11/16 at 3qt.

Jesse




Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJack View Post
Hello all,

I have been searching for a replacement dipstick, for the 540 that came out of our Lancair. It originally came with markings on it that did not match up with actual levels. So, I used a pipe cutter to make new marks, and that has always worked ok. The problem is thereís two sets of markings, one with numbers and mine with just the lines. Itís always a little confusing.
So, 2 questions: Where is the best place to source a replacement? Iíve found the appropriate part number (LW-14756), and a few places that carry it, but there are no images so I have no idea what Iím actually getting.
Second, whatís the best way to mark it? (Not get the levels, I have that) but how to actually mark the tube with numbers and tick marks.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-01-2017, 10:48 AM
JumpJack JumpJack is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: OC, SoCal
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 659JR View Post
I have a LW-14756 17 13/16 from the flange to the bottom of the stick, 13 3/8 at 12qt, 14 1/4 at 9qt, 15 5/8 at 6qt and 16 11/16 at 3qt.

Jesse
Is that one you want to sell?
Iíll take some measurements on mine this weekend.

Thanks,
Jack
__________________
Jack W.
RV-10 Wings in Progress
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-01-2017, 11:09 AM
659JR 659JR is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: delta, co
Posts: 172
Default dipstick

Yea I could! Let me know the part number on your fill neck and Ill make sure the tread size is the same.

Jesse
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.