Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-27-2017, 04:17 PM

Question H Stab riveting advice

Afternoon all,
So my friend and I are going to rivet the H Stab tomorrow starting with the front spar and then onto the ribs as per plans. How would you advise riveting such a long piece like the spar to avoid a twist; random rivets along the length or tackle like the trailing edge method. Also any advise rivetting the ribs for best practice construction, Iím confident at this stage with a gun and my trusty tungsten just eager to learn more.

Donít drop the dolly - lesson 1
Cheers
James
Prestwick, Scotland
Training kit complete
Emp under way
Old 11-27-2017, 04:23 PM

I made a cradle for mine and riveted it in the cradle.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 11-27-2017, 04:35 PM

The 14 manual actually calls for making a set of jigs, It probably could fit the 10's stab with little or no modification. It took me about 30 minutes to make, very similar to the stand made by flion just separate pieces that let it sit on a table. You'll have to really work against the process to get a twist.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 11-27-2017, 05:16 PM

When I riveted the skins to the front spar I first did maybe every 10th rivet before doing every other rivet down the line. I have no idea if it was actually necessary to do it that way or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt anything. I'm not finished rivet the HS yet but it looks pretty straight so far. It seems like since the front spar rests on the nose ribs that things wouldn't line up properly if there is a twist in it, but don't take my word for it.

The best advice I can offer is that when you get to bottom side of the stringers where you can't see the rivets while you buck them, don't forget about this bucking bar if you have one:

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Footed.../#.WhyaxrQ-cUs

I did 3/4 of those rivets struggling with my tungsten bucking bar, hoping I was properly positioned on the rivet that I couldn't see before I remembered I had that other bar. It made the last several rivets a piece of cake.
https://timsrv10blog.wordpress.com/
Old 11-27-2017, 07:08 PM

We also used a jig to position the HS correctly and hold the skins in place.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlcav3wb1h...07.49.jpg?dl=0

The rivets along the leading edge were the toughest and done first. After that it was easier.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:44 PM

"The best advice I can offer is that when you get to bottom side of the stringers where you can't see the rivets while you buck them, don't forget about this bucking bar if you have one:

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Footed.../#.WhyaxrQ-cUs "

I'll second that, and if you have someone to run the gun you can get two hands on this bar and really control it for nice flat shop heads.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM

Talking

Thanks for the response guys, well we sure nailed it today in sunny Symington, Ayrshire and realised going forward a 2 man operation produces outstanding results. Iím building a -10 & Barry in Glasgow a -8. Jigs already pre built per plans , I finally brought out the suggested bar from my toolbox that has yet been gathering dust, between the Tungsten and the footed we put in a days graft. It was easier my side (gun), Barrys knuckles took the brunt at times....I did break a nail though...seriously thanks a mil for the suggests all taken on board....
Training kit complete
Emp under way
Old 11-28-2017, 09:24 PM

Default Sorry for thread drift

Used to play on the Struthers dairy farm in Symington. I was in Troon and Prestwick a couple months ago and drove past Symington on the A77 coming from GLA. Wondered if their farm was still operational.

Also got to see Killie play at home. Friends from Troon have a son that's a footballer with Kilmarnock.

Sorry for getting off topic but this part of the Motherland was my summer home as a youngster.

Locust Grove, GA and Miramar Beach, FL
DA20-A1 Katana "Princess Amelia"
RV-7A under construction
RV-10 under construction