VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Default P-static

Anyone installing static wicks on their -10? I took off in '1.25 vis in mist' with tops about 2500 ft. Immediately after takeoff I got static in both radios and on more than one frequency. I could still hear ATC but with some difficulty. I assume this was precipitation static since it went away as soon as I came out to VFR on top. Thus the question about static wicks.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Default static wicks

There are some threads relating to this. It isn't as simple as just bolting them on...and the wicks themselves can flutter and potentially fatigue the area where they are mounted.

Not saying they are a bad thing, just saying there is more to consider than just bolting them on...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-27-2017, 03:04 PM

I encountered P-Static once IFR in a 172, it was nearly terrifying. Shortly after the shop noted a nearly broken ground strap between the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator.

I really don't want to encounter that in the 10.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:53 PM

I installed wicks on my 10. Never had any issues in the clouds. I have one at the wing tip with a ground strap and one attached on the inboard side of the aileron. On the tail, one at each end of the hs and one at the bottom of the rudder.
You aren’t the only one with issues on the 10. Ivan K. Has had his VP200 totally shut down twice while in the clouds.

http://www.myrv10.com/tips/staticwic...Wicks_RV10.jpg
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC

Last edited by Bill.Peyton : 11-27-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Default Static wicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
There are some threads relating to this. It isn't as simple as just bolting them on...and the wicks themselves can flutter and potentially fatigue the area where they are mounted.

Not saying they are a bad thing, just saying there is more to consider than just bolting them on...
Could you elaborate a bit on that. Things like placement, number of wicks and the requirements for bonding straps etc.
Home field is Waterloo Regional Airport (CYKF) Ontario Canada,

2017 VAF dues paid.

Link to my build site:
https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/B...ENTAL-aircraft
Old 11-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Default wicks

While I was researching this for my -10, I came upon numerous sources available on the web. Some were generalized and some got in to surface mapping of the aircraft to determine p-static problem areas. Here is a generalized article:

http://www.aviationpros.com/article/...-other-effects

I found it interesting that p-static problems change based on aircraft's finish...whether it is highly polished or painted with a high dielectric paint then buffed to a high gloss.

As far as the flutter of the wick itself, I will try and located the research paper a group of us wrote in college on this topic. We actually had some wind tunnel data for it. That has probably changed by now as there are many different types of rigid and semi-rigid wicks available, and they should mitigate the flutter tendencies. The wicks should, however, be mounted on structure or a doubler, as the skins are fairly thin...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung

Old 11-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Default I wonder..

.. how much of the problems (i.e. static affecting operations of electronics on board) are related to wiring that utilizes the airframe for a local ground, instead of running all grounds back to one spot..? It's probably a good idea to use grounding straps between control surfaces and airframe, but how much of the "static problems" could be avoided, simply by not having a bunch of stuff grounded to the airframe all over the place...?
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 11-28-2017, 10:35 AM

Default ???

Good question! If you read the AeroElectric Connection, Bob talks about proper grounding and ground loops, etc.

I wonder if there is a way to quantify the difference between using the airframe as a local ground and running a dedicated ground...

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung

Old 11-30-2017, 06:49 AM

I am not flying and a long way from flying; however, I understand my mission and have been installing static wicks as I have been building. I built doubler and mounting points for 2 on each elevator and 2 on the rudder. I plan 2 or 3 for the wings. Mouse has a drawing from Dayton Granger detailing required locations.

http://mouser.org/projects/rv-10/staticwicks.html

Don't forget to install grounding straps between the fixed and movable surfaces as you build if you intend to install them.

If you plan to never or rarely do IFR, then they are probably not necessary. I fly for a living so shooting approaches to 200 and a half is not a big deal and desire my airplane to have the system reliability to do so.
Charlotte, NC
2017 VAF Dues Paid
Old 11-30-2017, 07:50 AM

Default Bonding straps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrew View Post
Don't forget to install grounding straps between the fixed and movable surfaces as you build if you intend to install them.
Could you give some details on how and where to install these grounding straps on a flying airplane? I expect that removal of the control surfaces will be necessary to accomplish this task.

I have had (twice) what I believe to be P-Static issues in my RV-10 both in IMC with temperatures below freezing.
Home field is Waterloo Regional Airport (CYKF) Ontario Canada,

2017 VAF dues paid.

Link to my build site:
https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/B...ENTAL-aircraft