VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-25-2017, 04:21 PM

Fighting this along with everyone else, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the Swift Fuel UL94. I am on a campaign to get it at my airport and it would seem to be ideal for many of us. Has anyone else been using it?
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 11-25-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy2110 View Post
The difference between AvGas and MoGas is about $0.50 / gallon here is CA. Takes a lot of fifty cents to cover a twenty thousand dollar engine. Just sayin.
If the engine is rated for the fuel, where is the loss of twenty thousand dollars?? You’re not making any sense. Just sayin’.

I’m in Wackifornia. Current price 100LL is $4.05/gallon and 91AKI is $2.89 at the local Quick Stop. Maybe everyone else is rich, but saving a more a couple AMU’s a year in fuel costs and having a cleaner engine that will go longer between oil changes makes a lot sense to me.

- RV12, N975G, SN 120840, Build in progress...finishing up.
- BE58, N1975G, stimulating the economy one flight at a time.

Last edited by rongawer : 11-25-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
If the engine is rated for the fuel, where is the loss of twenty thousand dollars?? You’re not making any sense. Just sayin’.

I’m in Wackifornia. Current price 100LL is $4.05/gallon and 91AKI is $2.89 at the local Quick Stop. Maybe everyone else is rich, but saving a more a couple AMU’s a year in fuel costs and having a cleaner engine that will go longer between oil changes makes a lot sense to me.
Ron, I'm right next door in the Burg. To keep in the spirit of this thread - it's your choice to run AutoFuel. You decide if all the extra handling, formula changes and lack of quality control is worth the risk to your plane, the planes around you and possibly your life.

I have twenty thou$and reasons why I won't. No mater the rating, I've got a box of parts that says it won't hold up.

I thought you were going with the UL?
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.

Last edited by waterboy2110 : 11-25-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:30 PM

Yes, Jim, that’s the post I was referring too. I’ve converted all my gas containers to vented ones.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy2110 View Post
Ron, I'm right next door in the Burg. To keep in the spirit of this thread - it's your choice to run AutoFuel. You decide if all the extra handling, formula changes and lack of quality control is worth the risk to your plane, the planes around you and possibly your life.

I have twenty thou$and reasons why I won't. No mater the rating, I've got a box of parts that says it won't hold up.

I thought you were going with the UL?
I am doing UL. But much like the Rotax, the UL is rated to run on regular unleaded 91AKI fuel with up to 15% ethanol (I think the Rotax is only for 10%). It’s difficult for me to understand what risks you’re speaking of without more information - probably good for a separate thread.

My brother’s Piper Warrior runs on MOGAS just fine and has done so for many years. At the risk of being very obvious, my car runs fine on MOGAS and it’s the same compression ratio as my aircraft engine. Running MOGAS is just fine, assuming your engine is rated to run on it.

If the engine is rated to run on certain fuel and you’re still getting detonation, there’s likely something else at issue - maybe timing?

Back to the thread, transferring your own fuel is a very cost effective process.

Last edited by rongawer : 11-26-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:36 AM

Default What I do - -

I bought a smaller aluminum platform to stand on. I built a funnel that fits tight into filler neck. I can dump 5 - 6 gallons in less than a minute. Makes it much easier. Will try to get new pic site so I can show pics.
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-10-17 )
Old 11-26-2017, 07:38 AM

Default Test pic site - -

Still testing
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-10-17 )

Last edited by JBPILOT : 11-26-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:26 AM

I use a Mr Funnel to filter my auto fuel when I'm transferring to a Flo-Fast container then use a Flo-Fast pump to pump (http://www.flofast.com/pumpstore.html) it into my -12. I don't care for the extra transfer that takes but does have the advantage of filtering all fuel that goes into the plane. Using the pump easily transfers the fuel into the plane.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 11-26-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
I use a Mr Funnel to filter my auto fuel when I'm transferring to a Flo-Fast container then use a Flo-Fast pump to pump (http://www.flofast.com/pumpstore.html) it into my -12. I don't care for the extra transfer that takes but does have the advantage of filtering all fuel that goes into the plane. Using the pump easily transfers the fuel into the plane.
I use a Mr. Funnel too, the 5gpm model. Definitely recommended to get any water or particulate out. BTW, I’ve tested mine with a gallon of fuel containing 1qt of water and it really does a good job of holding water; I was impressed.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPILOT View Post
https://pix.sfly.com/UNKRT4

Let me know if this works.
I didn't see a picture in your post, just your link, but here it is. I clicked on your link, then used "copy image address" and pasted it between "IMG" tags (the Mountain in the tools row).

(Pic)
- Out with the Old, In with the New (Pic)
RV-8, 1935 Tach Hours
(Pic 1), (Pic 2), (Pic 3) - Sale Pending
Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 11-26-2017 at 03:28 PM.