VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Best of luck to you David going forward.
I've enjoyed your posts over the years as well as your advice & assistance, when I was going through my 7A to 7 conversion.
2017 Donation Paid
Old 11-25-2017, 11:30 AM

Had great dawn patrol along Missouri River, sector west of St. Louis is secure, no enemy sighted.
Three good landings, no tail wind to screw me up.
Landing with tail wind not good idea with tail dragger.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!

Last edited by David-aviator : 11-25-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8RV View Post
Welcome to the club, David. We are all assembled with different parts -- very few have the same parts as Bob Hoover or Chuck Yeager. Some spent their entire careers flying professionally and keep on flying something until they physically or mentally can't. Others, with the same professional background, never fly again once they retire. How does that happen?

I once commented to Danny King when I was about halfway through my slow build, "I haven't flown in years and haven't missed it. What if I don't WANT to fly when I'm done building?" He just shook his head.

After 13 years of building and 7 years of flying Smokey, I was done. I found flying boring (yes, even in an RV!) And I found myself worrying more about the "what ifs" than simply enjoying flight. I can't explain it. I was just done with flying.

We all change with time, some in different ways. Best of luck building your friend's -12. Maybe you'll discover another way to fit in. Maybe not. It's all good.

Once upon a time I would have found this post hard to believe, who would go to all the trouble of learning to fly & loose the passion, but I am now starting to understand this situation a little more. I've recently retired from flying professionally inc the Airlines as I simply wasn't enjoying flying like a bus driver, there's no enjoyment in that the Airlines treat you poorly, it's not a job I would encourage anybody to pursue. But I still enjoy my little plane (7ECA) & didn't get my T/W rating till recent times, I find the challenge very rewarding & seek out x wind landings etc on purpose, keeps you sharp:-) I have flown an RV8 & loved that, found it easy to handle in any condition so have been searching for one now for ages. I guess near on 40 yrs driving planes with a couple of hrs under my belt helps but as mentioned we are all made differently, I like a challenge bring it on...lol
Old 11-25-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
Once upon a time I would have found this post hard to believe, who would go to all the trouble of learning to fly & loose the passion, but I am now starting to understand this situation a little more. I've recently retired from flying professionally inc the Airlines as I simply wasn't enjoying flying like a bus driver, there's no enjoyment in that the Airlines treat you poorly, it's not a job I would encourage anybody to pursue. But I still enjoy my little plane (7ECA) & didn't get my T/W rating till recent times, I find the challenge very rewarding & seek out x wind landings etc on purpose, keeps you sharp:-) I have flown an RV8 & loved that, found it easy to handle in any condition so have been searching for one now for ages. I guess near on 40 yrs driving planes with a couple of hrs under my belt helps but as mentioned we are all made differently, I like a challenge bring it on...lol
Adrian, just wondering if you've landed the 7ECA with quartering tail wind and how it went?
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
RV-3 ....fan

Old 11-26-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
Adrian, just wondering if you've landed the 7ECA with quartering tail wind and how it went?
Often, my two local fields I use have what I call squirrely winds on short final due trees, gullies and hangars, keeps me on my toes🙂
Old 11-26-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Often, my two local fields I use have what I call squirrely winds on short final due trees, gullies and hangars, keeps me on my toes🙂
Well I have difficulty with it on hard surface, grass less so.
Just have to be, as you say, on your toes. Have not departed runway yet.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
RV-3 ....fan

Old 11-26-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
Well I have difficulty with it on hard surface, grass less so.
Just have to be, as you say, on your toes. Have not departed runway yet.
There's a little trick I do if I am Ldg in x winds especially with any T/W component, I always fly it on well above the stall speed touching the upwind wheel down first especially on sealed Rwy's then I put the other wheel down once I have good directional control then the T/W, works for me but I do practice it a lot I luv the challenge
Old 11-27-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
There's a little trick I do if I am Ldg in x winds especially with any T/W component, I always fly it on well above the stall speed touching the upwind wheel down first especially on sealed Rwy's then I put the other wheel down once I have good directional control then the T/W, works for me but I do practice it a lot I luv the challenge
That's generally what I try to do but as tail is coming down there is period with no directional control (except brakes). The rudder is in relative calm wind state, no directional control until tail is down and TW steering possible.

That's the area that has been unnerving me with the 8. Twice I was headed for boonies and just caught it with TW steering.

Bud Davidson talked about landing with quartering tail wind at OSH. It is a dicey event with TW aircraft. Utmost caution must be observed to prevent ground loop. I have read since, some ag pilots will not land their expensive airplanes in those conditions.

Just food for thought....I have reached point not interested in practicing it, more interested in avoiding it.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
RV-3 ....fan

Old 11-28-2017, 01:00 AM

That's fair enuf Dave, avoid is always a good choice🙂 I guess am a little diff than most, all my flying career I've tried to 'add' to my skills trying diff methods, but that's just me😉 I've played with toy planes all my life, they are much harder to fly/land as you ain't in 'em!🙂
I force my t/w down early not too hard though so as to get that rudder authority, it's a fine line between control and aviating again as in getting airborne when you least expect it😉 I get great joy in ldg X-wind right in front of the clubhouse, we have so many "noisey" wheel drivers that the skill of t/w is dying off! In fact nose
She'll planes should be banned😂😂lolol
Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
That's fair enuf Dave, avoid is always a good choice🙂 I guess am a little diff than most, all my flying career I've tried to 'add' to my skills trying diff methods, but that's just me😉 I've played with toy planes all my life, they are much harder to fly/land as you ain't in 'em!🙂
I force my t/w down early not too hard though so as to get that rudder authority, it's a fine line between control and aviating again as in getting airborne when you least expect it😉 I get great joy in ldg X-wind right in front of the clubhouse, we have so many "noisey" wheel drivers that the skill of t/w is dying off! In fact nose
She'll planes should be banned😂😂lolol
I agree with all above.

Did not get serious about TW ops until age 72 and started RV-8 build. It has been a very interesting late chapter in my flying book.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
RV-3 ....fan