- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2017, 08:53 AM

Default BPE

Yes, Rhonda found the core for my engine...and the run it on the dyno with the full EFII system...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve murray View Post
Does BPE find a core for buyers or build new from ground up?

I am looking at std 8.5 pistons with EFII\SDS system for fuel injection and ignition. Not sure of the cost effectiveness of buying an engine from Vans and modifying it myself or having BPE or Aerosport or possibly even Continental build one for me in this configuration? Anybody have thoughts on this?
They locate the core. If you have specific needs, let them know in advance. The cases I got are old and didn't have bosses for the LSE crank sensor mount but a call to Klaus and we've got a mod for the mounting plate in the works. That's not a complaint about BPE; it's a beautiful engine. I didn't realize the problem myself until I tried to install the ignition. I'm just saying they can't know what you need unless you tell them.

On the other hand, their support is awesome. When the recent Lycoming service bulletin came out, I checked on my recent build and Rhonda was very quickly able to find the paperwork on the crank and tell me that the components were from Superior, so I can write that one off in my logbook. They've always been great about answering questions both during the build and after. And I got my custom build cheaper than a Thunderbolt. If I had it to do again, I'd definitely go BPE again.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 11-25-2017, 03:02 PM

I have nothing bad to say about BPE, I hope that when I get an overhaul that I can get BPE to do it. With that said, I went with a Lycoming Thunderbolt (and I am very happy). Here was my reasoning:

1) BPE (at least 12 months ago) was really overloaded. Communication between us was really lacking. Nothing against them, they were just really hard to get a hold of.

2) Taking (1) into consideration, I never got past the "finding a core" stage. Not to get into specifics, I just felt like that if we did find a core I was going to get the bottom of the barrel because I was low priority. I realize they wouldn't do that because they do really stand by their engines, but that is at least how I felt.

3) Conversely, when I contacted thunderbolt I got a call first thing the next morning asking what I was looking for and we ended up in a 30 minute conversation with my mission needs.

4) Thunderbolt was able to configure the engine how I wanted. Cold Air, 9:1, etc.

5) Thunderbolt did not charge me for things that I did not want. They were true on their timing, they always answered the phone (not that I called them more than twice [for the SB question, and the small hole mounting ear swap out])

6) Since my exact configuration was new to the RV-10, Thunderbolt was nice enough to send Vetterman one of their cold air intakes and specifics in order to get an exhaust built. No questions asked.

7) I am not running/flying yet, but knowing the history of my core and knowing that for the two times I had call them, they happily answered all of my questions. I am happy!

Old 11-25-2017, 04:55 PM

Default Comms

As a data point, I have never had an issue contacting BPE. Once I placed a core deposit, I was assigned a core and engine construction was begun. I received a completion date that was acceptable to my time frame, and the engine was delivered on the designated date.

Out of curiosity, was Thunderbolt willing to build with non standard equipment such as EFII? When I talked to them 2 years ago, they would not build it that way, so my choice was easier...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung

Old 11-25-2017, 10:41 PM

What brand of cold air setup?
RV-10 #1750
N67SC reserved
http://n67sc.blogspot.com/
2016 Dues Paid
Old 11-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

I currently have a Thunderbolt engine on the RV-10, and just turned over 100 hours on it. It is wonderfully smooth.
I ditto all of the ocmments here with regards to being responsive. Jeff Schans is super patient and will answer all of your questions and build it exactly how you want it. The cool thing is that it is built by a couple of guys in a really nice shop just off of the production line at the Lycoming factory. I went up and met them. You can read about it in the KitPlanes magazine that was out for Airventure 2017 if you want to see some pictures and more detail.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
Yes, Rhonda found the core for my engine...and the run it on the dyno with the full EFII system...
So I have a question about the "Full EFII system." Has there been any definitive data provided that shows that this system provides better performance than a simpler ignition system (electronic) and standard type of fuel injection (i.e. no fuel return lines or duplex valves)? I'm interested in engine performance (longevity, better HP and lower fuel consumption), but just not sure if this new system, and all its complexity is worth the upfront investment... I would appreciate some education on this system..
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 11-28-2017, 11:02 AM

Default Uh, oh...

Well now you've done it! Opened up that can of worms

I am not flying yet. I knew that I wanted to go with electronic ignition for certain. Mags work, yes, I just think the electronic ignition is better. Not going to argue, it's my opinion, that's all (and just about every other engine manufacturer in the world...do you see any other vehicles using mags?) Maybe it's more about LIABILITY than anything else.

The fuel injection part was a later decision. I'm not sure that it is any more complex than the mechanical system...other than a return line. I guess some guys add a purge line to their mechanical injection so running the return is kind of a moot point.

When I talked to Rhonda and Allen, they both said that the engine starts instantly and is very smooth. As far as performance, well, only time will tell. I am perfectly satisfied with 290 HP, I am more curious about the fuel efficiency.

We will see.

You are bound to get many, many opinions on this subject so sit back and break out the popcorn...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung

Old 11-29-2017, 05:58 PM

Default IO540 FROM LY-CON

I installed a used engine with about 700 hr; Ly-Con inspected, top overhauled ported and polished. Included all accessories. Cost << half of new. So far so good after about 100 hr. Just another choice...
Old 11-29-2017, 06:32 PM

Default JB Engines

In Sebring, FL can take care of all your requirements, custom made. What I replaced my POS ECI with.
FFI CP