- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Engine Recommendations

Any recommendations on an engine for a RV10. I'm leaning towards purchasing an engine from Van's, but thought I'd see what others have found. Many Thanks, Ken
Been Most Ranks Once, Some Twice
2017 Dues
Old 11-22-2017, 08:36 PM

Default Barrett Precision Engines

I went with a BPE IO540 with 9:1, cold air induction, full dual EFII, billet rocker covers, and Reiff preheat system.

It did 290 hp on the dyno. Great customer service! Highly recommended.

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-22-2017, 10:20 PM

I also went with an engine from BPE. Mine is relatively stock.

That said, there are several good options out there. Aerosport, a new engine from Vans, Thunderbolt, etc. I don't remember any serious complaints from people who used one of those options.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:31 PM

Default Engine

You need to consider whether you are going to customize the engine or go with a stock setup. If you buy from Vanís, you will get what they sell. BPE built mine exactly the way I wanted. I think Thunderbolt has some options available. I found the Aerosport engine significantly more expensive than the others I compared with...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-23-2017, 07:30 AM

Default NOT ECI!

After my broken crank and zero help from them, I wouldn't recommend.
417 hours.
FFI CP
Old 11-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Another upvote for BPE.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 11-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Default Engine(s)

Adding my thoughts;

I have 743 hours on my Rv10 with a BPE "new" totally rebuilt engine, AWC 10-2010. The Barrett family are all great folks, better than family. BPE is rock solid with 2 generations of real actual experience. Allen or Rhonda are always available and straight shooters. I originally had cooling issues with my Sam James cowl/plenum, but I solved this and love the looks of the Sam James cowl. My cooling was not a BPE issue, but I did get my cylinder heads and oil hot until I solved and now I'm almost too cool on CHT and oil.

However, I have always thought "we experimental" types should have alternative engines for experimental aircraft that are safe, reliable, affordable to purchase and operate with premium, diesel 1 or jet fuel. Maybe this is just a dream and there is no way to actually get there, I don't really know for sure. I think very few are actually smart enough, have the time, have the financial ability, tenacity and/or willing to put themselves out there and try. It's so much easier to do little and criticize much.

That being said, there have been many attempts (I sincerely applaud all) but too many failures and far too fatalities. I love flying, but I love life and living.

My first Rv I built was a 7a, AWC 9-07, and I was going to "wait" and install the "new" Delta Diesel. My friend Jason Smith of Aerotronics in Billings MT, who built both of my dashes, told me I should go ahead and get a "regular" Lycoming engine because this engine my take awhile. I'm so glad I acted on his advise because I got my IFR ticket in '08 and flew 690 wonderful hours in my 7a before I sold it 11-11.

I admire Christian Skoppe of Diemech for his persistence to develop his turbine install in his Rv10. Awesome and thank you Chris!

I do have an escrow deposit for the "new" designed Adept Airmotive engine built in South Africa. South Africa "FAA" has just released all Ravin 500's to fly again after a fatal accident of a Ravin with a Lycoming engine. S.A. grounded the entire aircraft fleet until investigation was complete. I'm cautiously optimistic about this engine development. It does have an oiled/bearings jackshaft designed and built into the engine block for the redrive.

Peter Muller is working hard on a new aircraft and engine. The engine he has selected is an Audi 3.0 diesel, 2 compound turbo's with a belted redrive of his own design. If the engine works, the benefits would be for all experimental airframe builders. Peter has designed a ballistic chute into his airframe, so this may ease a fatal accident scenario in the event of engine failure.

I love my Rv10 and our Rv community. I marvel in all the innovative and creative idea's, the cottage industry which has developed, with great products over the years because of this community. Thank you Doug Reeves! Awesome people and companies with innovative products that have allowed us ALL to make our airplane safer, more luxurious, cool, nice, easier to work on and maybe, just maybe an engine will come along and be a game changer. I'm an optimist.

Be safe and enjoy the journey.

Kenny Gene
Wichita Kansas area
Rv7a-AWC 9-07 680 hours sold 11-11
Rv10-AWC 10-10 743 hours, flying and Living The Dream (LTD)
Old 11-23-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Engine(s)

Adding my thoughts;

I have 743 hours on my Rv10 with a BPE "new" totally rebuilt engine, AWC 10-2010. The Barrett family are all great folks, better than family. BPE is rock solid with 2 generations of real actual experience. Allen or Rhonda are always available and straight shooters. I originally had cooling issues with my Sam James cowl/plenum, but I solved this and love the looks of the Sam James cowl. My cooling was not a BPE issue, but I did get my cylinder heads and oil hot until I solved and now I'm almost too cool on CHT and oil.

However, I have always thought "we experimental" types should have alternative engines for experimental aircraft that are safe, reliable, affordable to purchase and operate with premium, diesel 1 or jet fuel. Maybe this is just a dream and there is no way to actually get there, I don't really know for sure. I think very few are actually smart enough, have the time, have the financial ability, tenacity and/or willing to put themselves out there and try. It's so much easier to do little and criticize much.

That being said, there have been many attempts (I sincerely applaud all) but too many failures and far too fatalities. I love flying, but I love life and living.

My first Rv I built was a 7a, AWC 9-07, and I was going to "wait" and install the "new" Delta Diesel. My friend Jason Smith of Aerotronics in Billings MT, who built both of my dashes, told me I should go ahead and get a "regular" Lycoming engine because this engine my take awhile. I'm so glad I acted on his advise because I got my IFR ticket in '08 and flew 690 wonderful hours in my 7a before I sold it 11-11.

I admire Christian Skoppe of Diemech for his persistence to develop his turbine install in his Rv10. Awesome and thank you Chris!

I do have an escrow deposit for the "new" designed Adept Airmotive engine built in South Africa. South Africa "FAA" has just released all Ravin 500's to fly again after a fatal accident of a Ravin with a Lycoming engine. S.A. grounded the entire aircraft fleet until investigation was complete. I'm cautiously optimistic about this engine development. It does have an oiled/bearings jackshaft designed and built into the engine block for the redrive.

Peter Muller is working hard on a new aircraft and engine. The engine he has selected is an Audi 3.0 diesel, 2 compound turbo's with a belted redrive of his own design. If the engine works, the benefits would be for all experimental airframe builders. Peter has designed a ballistic chute into his airframe, so this may ease a fatal accident scenario in the event of engine failure.

I love my Rv10 and our Rv community. I marvel in all the innovative and creative idea's, the cottage industry which has developed, with great products over the years because of this community. Thank you Doug Reeves! Awesome people and companies with innovative products that have allowed us ALL to make our airplane safer, more luxurious, high tech, cool, nice, easier to work on and maybe, just maybe an engine will come along and be a game changer. I'm an optimist.

Be safe and enjoy the journey.

Kenny Gene
Wichita Kansas area
Rv7a-AWC 9-07 680 hours sold 11-11
Rv10-AWC 10-10 743 hours, flying and Living The Dream (LTD)
Old 11-23-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
I went with a BPE IO540 with 9:1, cold air induction, full dual EFII, billet rocker covers, and Reiff preheat system.

It did 290 hp on the dyno. Great customer service! Highly recommended.
Couldnít agree more. I would never have a Lycoming or Continental build by anyone else. Period.
BPE IO-540, FULL EFII
KMYF, San Diego, Ca.
KEOS, Neosho, MO

Crew Lead on the
Grove Aero Super Legacy Reno Racer,
twin turbo, IO-540,
full EFII management system
!

"so I got that going for me... which is nice."
2017 Dues Paid"
Old 11-24-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flion View Post
Another upvote for BPE.
Does BPE find a core for buyers or build new from ground up?

I am looking at std 8.5 pistons with EFII\SDS system for fuel injection and ignition. Not sure of the cost effectiveness of buying an engine from Vans and modifying it myself or having BPE or Aerosport or possibly even Continental build one for me in this configuration? Anybody have thoughts on this?

RV8 Flying since 2007
RV10 in construction (Fuselage)