VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-28-2017, 05:03 PM

Well done Allan! I puzzled for a while as to how I could make this work with the Van's model. You've evidently solved it in the design...

Membership renewed Nov 30, 2017
Old 11-28-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Barely gets to 190? Ain't picking on 'ya, but I detect some wives tails in the air.

Lycoming recommends 180F. The standard vernatherm, if it meets specification, starts closing at 150F, and is fully seated and directing all oil flow to the cooler between 183F and 187F. The oil barely reaches 190 because the system is working perfectly.

180 is better, but there is nothing terribly wrong with 160F oil. If you're thinking "But what about boiling out the water?", consider that in the context of water removal in an aircraft engine, 212F has no relevance at all.

Water evaporates just fine at sea level standard temperature. It merely evaporates faster at higher temperatures. By 160F vapor pressure is already 18x the sea level standard. It's 29x at 180.

We don't care about boiling. Boiling point is merely the temperature at which vapor pressure exceeds local pressure at the point of bubble formation in a liquid. That temperature point drops with reduced atmospheric pressure (same vapor pressure, less local pressure). Water boils in the low 190's at 10,000 feet, not that it matters. It's just telling us we can run a lower oil temperature for the same rate of evaporation. Personally I run a case evacuator, pull 2" Hg, and at 10K my oil thinks it is at 13K, which increases water removal without decreasing oil viscosity. BTW, boiling point would be about 188F, again not that it matters.

The shutter design seen here blocks a good bit of flow when open, so I'd expect higher oil temperature in hot weather if installed. And it's pretty much for low performance parallel valve engines with no squirters, if needed at all. Angle valve motors and parallels modified for piston squirters shed a higher percentage of their waste heat via the oiling system.
That's an interesting visual, Dan

The word you're looking for is tales.

Unless maybe it isn't

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 11-28-2017, 11:59 PM

Default Cable Nut

Allan,

Do you have ACS reference for the right cable nut?

Shutter ordered!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTech View Post
Hello
all
... We could easily do this with one of our linier actuators, and had originally
planed to offer this as an option (We can do this if so desired). After thinking
about it I came to the conclusion
that not much is as dependable as a cable. If you had a actuator failure, or any
kind of electrical problem, requiring the shut down of the master switch, and the
shutter was closed at the time, you now have a possible over temperature issue
in the making. After playing all the possible scenarios in my head, I thought it
best to play it safe and only offer the manual version of the product.
Thanks, Allan..
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 PM

Default Shutter looks good

Received my oil cooler shutter from Allan today, only ordered it a week ago yesterday. After the UPS sticker shock (their brokerage fees are ludicrous - $81 brokerage for a $34 tax bill), I opened up the box to check out the shutter, along with the Lip Skid and Nose Job that I bought at the same time. This is a very nicely put together unit, the action is smooth and solid. Looking forward to installing it in the next week or two as I finish up my baffles.

Thanks Allan, great service and the product looks to be top notch.

Building RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S mounted. Final push to the finish line, I hope.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Naaa, keep the tape. 180 is great.
I'm sure Alan will make a beautiful piece.
But, I find that the oil cooler shutter has a logic problem in that when it is fully open it still blocks the cooler air flow by 50%. Of course, 100% block when closed.
I would prefer to have a smaller cooler instead but I have not found anything appropriate yet.

As with others, my -M1B oil temp hovers around 170F with roughly 60% of the fins blocked with aluminum tape. I used to remove the tape in the summer but I have not the past two seasons. Oil temp comes up a little (but still below 180F) on the hottest summer days we have had here.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page