Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-27-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Anunson View Post
What are the dimensions of the oil cooler air shutter?
...The 3.5" X 5.5" working area, and an
overall size of4.5" X 7.75" to top of arm.
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 11-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTech View Post
... We now have our new & improved oil cooler air control shutters
up and available for immediate shipment on our website. I would
like to say "Thank You" to all the guys that per-ordered, and waited
for us (too long through the delays) to get these out. We are filling
all the back orders now but still have about 430 units, so not much
danger of running out. Thanks again, Allan...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8lSac2fSILY2pACZ2
I was about to build one of these. Shut up and take my money!
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 11-27-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
We....need to block our oil cooler 9 or 10 months of the year and the oil still barely gets to 190.
Barely gets to 190? Ain't picking on 'ya, but I detect some wives tails in the air.

Lycoming recommends 180F. The standard vernatherm, if it meets specification, starts closing at 150F, and is fully seated and directing all oil flow to the cooler between 183F and 187F. The oil barely reaches 190 because the system is working perfectly.

180 is better, but there is nothing terribly wrong with 160F oil. If you're thinking "But what about boiling out the water?", consider that in the context of water removal in an aircraft engine, 212F has no relevance at all.

Water evaporates just fine at sea level standard temperature. It merely evaporates faster at higher temperatures. By 160F vapor pressure is already 18x the sea level standard. It's 29x at 180.

We don't care about boiling. Boiling point is merely the temperature at which vapor pressure exceeds local pressure at the point of bubble formation in a liquid. That temperature point drops with reduced atmospheric pressure (same vapor pressure, less local pressure). Water boils in the low 190's at 10,000 feet, not that it matters. It's just telling us we can run a lower oil temperature for the same rate of evaporation. Personally I run a case evacuator, pull 2" Hg, and at 10K my oil thinks it is at 13K, which increases water removal without decreasing oil viscosity. BTW, boiling point would be about 188F, again not that it matters.

The shutter design seen here blocks a good bit of flow when open, so I'd expect higher oil temperature in hot weather if installed. And it's pretty much for low performance parallel valve engines with no squirters, if needed at all. Angle valve motors and parallels modified for piston squirters shed a higher percentage of their waste heat via the oiling system.

Last edited by DanH : 11-27-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:32 PM

Niec explanation Dan!

I have always thought I was struggling to get to 180 even here in Naples in the summer!

I block off about an inch to keep it at 180-185.

After your post, I think I will remove my “tape” and just enjoy the low 170’s

Thanks again for the post!
Old 11-27-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingJack View Post
I block off about an inch to keep it at 180-185. After your post, I think I will remove my “tape” and just enjoy the low 170’s
Naaa, keep the tape. 180 is great.

BTW, remember that the senders we're using have a rather poor accuracy tolerance. 5% is 8F plus or minus.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Default Thoughts

Dan,
I had a conversation with Allen the other day about the shutter and blocking cooling air when open. He said his shutter free area is larger than the open area of the cooler. I had to admit I had thought any blockage was blocking air and hadn't considered the fins and oil tube area was a blockage as well.
------------
As for the oil temp and boiling water. Remember the oil is splashing around and hitting the cylinder walls and bottom of the pistion so pretty sure it is getting plenty hot enough to remove water. Even at winter temps. But this is not an excuse to keep an improperly working vernatherm.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 11-27-2017, 05:34 PM

I installed a Van's version, but spaced it away from the oil cooler a bit to allow the air to access more surface area of the cooler...

If installed up tight it appeared that some of the air channels would be blocked even if the shutter was in the open position...

With the spacer it does not seem to significantly increase oil temperature, (compared to pre installation of the shutter), in the summer...

Membership renewed Nov 30, 2017
Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 PM

What of us that have the larger than standard *SW8432R* oil cooler variants? I may never need it in Phoenix, Arizona but I do travel north (Kingman and Page, AZ) for family. It gets nippy up there.
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp & Wings done - working on fuselage - finish kit received

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 11-27-2017, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RV8 View Post
I installed a Van's version, but spaced it away from the oil cooler a bit to allow the air to access more surface area of the cooler...

If installed up tight it appeared that some of the air channels would be blocked even if the shutter was in the open position...

With the spacer it does not seem to significantly increase oil temperature, (compared to pre installation of the shutter), in the summer...
I have had the same experience as has Ron with the Shutter-type controls. You need to have a space between the 2 so more air flows over the cooler.

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 11-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RV8 View Post

...We addressed this in our new units and spacing is not necessary. We also conducted many airflow and temperature tests. The open area of the shutter is 36% larger than the airflow of the best flowing oil cooler when open. We did several tests, back t back with the shutter installed and uninstalled to be certain that when open, the shutter created no restriction and had no effect on oil temperature. We used three airplanes for this, RV-7 180hp, RV-8 200hp, and my RV-9 160hp. Even my RV-9 nine, exhibited no temperature change with and without the shutter, and I have a very high flow 13 row oil cooler. Thanks, Allan..
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020