VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-22-2017, 09:27 PM

Excellent information everyone! I am glad to see I am on the right track. I have a little less than 200 hours so I believe the 9 is the rightvjumping off point for me.

I also appreciate the comment that it will take a year to find the right aircraft, I needed to be realistic and with so many choices it can see how it will take so long.

As a newbie I really appreciate everything, I may jump over to the main thread and introduce myself.

Keep the great info coming.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:59 PM

I had about 180hrs (no tail wheel time) prior to flying my RV7A. I did 6 hrs transition training. I feel the speed differences (landing and cruise) negligible. Landing approach is 67-72 Kts. Touchdown anywhere between 52-72 Kts. This is pretty close to the Cessna 172 I used to fly before. I just love the way the 7A lands with the nose wheel configuration. As soon as the mains touch, the angle of attack instantly reduces and therefore it stays on the runway in a slight nose high attitude. Rarely get a bounce.

Cruise is 165kts at 7.5 gph. What’s not to love?

For me, the nod went to the 7 over the 9 for two reasons, one of which is now mute being the airfoil was new. No customer airplanes were flying yet so not much was being discussed other than theory. The 7s wing is stronger and smaller which appealed to me for flying in turbulence (mountains) and slightly better cruise speed, tried and true airfoil.

Bevan.
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 11-23-2017, 01:42 PM

You can't go wrong with the 9/9A. Your thought process is pretty similar to mine, and I was at a similar experience level. I agonised about which to get for ages, and the 9A was quite a jump from my previous experience. I have had it a few years now, and if I had to replace it now it would be with another 9A. I had tailwheel experience and worried about the nose wheel, but it has never been a problem.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:01 PM

I should get my license about the same time I get my 9A certified - by the end of the year. I am really lucky to have high time RV pilots at my airport as friends. That and the safety pilot rules will allow me to get a bunch of training while I am doing my 40 hours. I still plan to have real transition training either local or with Mike and understand I am in no way qualified to do my own first flight. I am real excited to get it in the air!
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 11-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick972 View Post
Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum and looking to purchase my first RV. Currently my little Aeronca Champ is all l know and am looking to move up to something more capable. After a long cross country in my friends RV7 l was hooked, but a little apprehensive about the speed at landing so maybe the 9 is a better fit. .

l won’t fly a nose wheel as all my time is in tail draggers.
Actually, with proper transition training in what ever model of RV you end up with, I'm pretty sure the apprehension would be a non event.
Also, as the market goes, (personally) I'd pick the aircraft based on the best deal out there at the time, as 6-7-9 performance are pretty similar when you get to comparing 3 hour legs / cruise speeds / actual flight time differences / & bladder endurance.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
bladder endurance
Made me laugh. Yeah, for the older among us, that's a primary issue nowadays!
VAF#1258
RV-9A Empennage
Old 11-25-2017, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

They are all wonderful, and have somewhat different, but overlapping, capabilities. Rather than make a hard commitment to one particular model, watch for the right airplane to come along that meets your requirements with regards to fit/finish, paint, avionics, interior, location, etc. That way you won't have to "settle" for one if you run out of patience waiting for a particular model. You might be surprised at what's out there when you broaden the focus, and as others have mentioned, you won't go wrong with any of them.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 12-10-2017, 01:57 AM

Thumbs up RV-9A is a great training aircraft

I purchased my flying 9A with about 25 hours of flight time after passing the Sport Pilot flight test, and having a lot to learn. I trained for the Private Pilot test with another 20 hours of instruction in my airplane, and a lot of flying solo. It was/is a fantastic training airplane! The DAR was impressed with my flying and landing, especially because I took my check ride at night! After I got my license I have embarked on numerous cross country flights, and several have been coast to coast, OSH three times, and 120 different airports and 700 hours to date. The airplane will fly a coupled ILS or RNAV approach with slight adjustments in power and trim. The first major crosswind landing I ever performed was a surprise just how well it tracked the centerline down to the runway, and landed on one wheel, then the other, while still keeping me safe. The airplane and its wonderful wing, flaps, and rudder will take care of you. It does require proper speed and height management on approach with a fixed pitch propeller. Being too fast or high will cause you to float and use up precious runway. Not a big deal though on most runways, but comes into play on short runways. It does a wonderful slip, to reduce altitude and slow down as well. I always slip with right rudder for the best view of the runway, and because of that, save the right tank with more fuel for landing generally to keep from unporting the fuel pickup. The airplane instills confidence in these situations, but if you bounce, immediate full throttle and go around should always be in your training so that becomes automatic in my opinion. I have dual Dynon displays with a GTN-650 navigator and Dynon autopilot and it is a very capable airplane for local and long distance flying. I would stay away from manual elevator trim because the electronic servo trim works excellent and you use trim a lot in this airplane.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Default RV 9 is a great choice

My story is similar. Before I built my RV-9A I had about 200 hours in a 172. All 200 hours in the same 172.

I've now flown my 9A about 265 hours. It is a wonderful airplane for me.

There's exactly three airplanes in my log book. The 172, N666RV, and my 9A. N666RV is of course the 6A that I did transition training in with Mike Seager.

I found the transition training very challenging. It was not so much the 6A speeds that were difficult for me. It was the last 20 feet. The RV-6A is significantly more sensitive on the controls, and I found learning to round out and flare the 6A very challenging. After 10 hours with Mike I was beginning to get it down, but still did not feel confident. Nor did I enjoy how sensitive the controls were.

Given my transition training experience I was very nervous that the airplane I'd spent 6 years building was not going to be enjoyable for me to fly. I was so relieved the first two times around the pattern. That was all I was planning to do, but as I taxied back to the hangar I said to myself. That was amazing! I'm going to do 3 more. (This was not the first flight by the way. I had someone else do that.) The 9A is not as sensitive on the controls and that was perfect for me. Now maybe 265 hours later I would not find the 6A to be such a handful. That would be an interesting experiment.

Training in a 6 A was a great experience, and prepared me very well for flying the 9A.

That's just my experience.

Now I want to build a 14A, but I'm trying to figure out if the 14A is more like the 9A or 6A on the controls.

Michael
Last Donation: December 2016
Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 AM

I agree with those that suggest keeping your options open for a 6/7/9 but would add the 8 as well, unless you must have side-by-side. They all fly about the same but landings are a bit different. It is likely you'll find more -6s on the market because more have been built.

When I started looking for a project, the 7 and 9 were in scope. I had flown a -8 and loved it but the baggage situation and tandem seating was less desirable. I ended up finding a -7 in, essentially, quick build state and spent another 2 years to get her finished and in the air (no paint yet). Handling is sensitive but I would not change a thing about it now after 140 hours on the Hobbs this year. An autopilot, IMO, is a must for long cross-country flights because holding an altitude takes a lot of attention until you get used to the controls.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army