VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-21-2017, 07:15 AM

Default I gave up on the idea

We contemplated using a Corvair on a 12 but after thinking about it for a long time I just felt that the weigh difference wouldn't work out. I like the concept of the Corvair because I felt that it is closer to design of the Lycoming O320 I have in my 9A and it would be direct drive. If you try to build up a Corvair to the level that Dan of Panther fame has in his 3300 then you are going to be pushing around $17000 if you use his and WW components. I have two Corvair cores which I acquired when thinking of building a Zenith 650 before my brother acquired the 12 kit.
Building RV-12 with brother
Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 AM

Safety is a top priority for me. I liked the Corvair partly because it has a great safety record. Most of the few failures were in engines that were built differently than WW suggests.

Can't ignore the safety record of the Rotax. Plus, there are big bore kits if I need more power(probably not).

I will be taking the advice given here. Before this thread, I couldn't find any good reasons not to put a Corvair into an RV-12. Anything I found basically said "Vans wouldn't approve of that", or "it's perfect, why change it". But, the later responses were great and valid reasons.

Thank you.