Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-20-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E28POWER View Post
Definitely appreciate all the responses and opinions.

I wanted to build a "simple" plane as my first, hence the -12. I'm getting my PPL currently, so LSA is not required.

I'll probably design my own basic VFR panel anyway, so I'm already signing up for additional work, and it's a challenge that I like.

From FlyCorvair.com:
"The engine weighs 225 pounds ready to run. This is effectively the same as a Continental O-200. Itís installed weight is 35 pounds more than a 912 Rotax, 25 pounds more than a Jabaru 3300. The Corvair is 40 pounds lighter than a Lycoming O-235. 3,000 cc Corvairs are slightly lighter than 225 lbs. because we have special cylinders made for them which make these engine 5 pounds lighter."
Not sure where you got the Rotax weight # but it is a bit on the high side.
Installed weight for a 912 is closer to 170 Lb so that would put the Corvair 55 lbs heavier. That would be rather difficult to deal with.
At least one RV-12 was built with an O-200 and once the builder got to the weighing and C.G. calculation process, he ended up removing it and installing a Rotax.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-20-2017, 03:54 PM

I would not recommend a Corvair engine for the RV-12 with the weight and length issues you will have to deal with. I installed the Viking 110 and it added two years to my build time not to mention 50 extra pounds over a typical 912 powered RV-12 empty weight. Forward CG issues required moving the dual batteries and dual fuel pumps behind the baggage compartment bulkhead to get weight off the nose wheel.

If I were starting an EAB RV-12 today and wanted to do my own engine package, I would look for a used 912 ULS ($6K-$9K) to build up with an EFI and maybe a performance camshaft for a few more HP. If you want a Corvair powered aircraft, scratch the RV-12 off the list.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Old 11-20-2017, 05:45 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vaitor View Post
I would look for a used 912 ULS ($6K-$9K) to build up with an EFI and maybe a performance camshaft for a few more HP. If you want a Corvair powered aircraft, scratch the RV-12 off the list.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Well said. As someone who built a 601 with a Corvair engine, I can tell you that the engine runs fine, but it does leave the airplane nose heavy.

Iím with John that a used engine is probably a better choice. I bought a used UL 350iS for less than 1/2 new price.

- RV12, N975G, SN 120840, Build in progress...finishing up.
- BE58, N1975G, stimulating the economy one flight at a time.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:54 PM

All good, valid advice that I will use. Thank you all, looks like a Rotax is in my future.

Now, to decide between trying to find an abandoned gen 1 RV-12 kit, or just go for a RV-12iS kit. I live 45 min from Vans, so that's convenient.

Decisions.....
Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Default Engine

Why not use a VW engine light cheap lots flying in Sonex aircraft.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Gun View Post
Why not use a VW engine light cheap lots flying in Sonex aircraft.
Not enough power, the Sonex has a 1100lb gross weight with the VW. It might be doable, but there isn't enough safety margin for me. It would be a single seater in the summer.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:58 PM

You stated that ďsimpleĒ is important. Trying to fit anything other than a 912 would certainly change simple to complicated fast!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 PM

I was mainly talking about a simple airframe. An RV-9 slow build takes a lot longer to build than an RV-12.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E28POWER View Post
I'd rather build something quicker and easier, less time not being with my 4 year old son, which he could start helping with In a few years.
If you finish the plane one day you'll want to take your son flying with you.

On that basis I wouldn't be making engine purchase decisions working backwards from a desire to save money. I'd be making that decision based purely on the most reliable product available. And in the case of the RV12 that happens to be the Rotax provided by Vans.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
I am not sure if your are talking about a Corvair with a reduction drive or direct drive. If direct drive, remember the corvair’s thrust bearing is at the back of the motor and was not designed to carry a prop, just a flywheel. The crank is not counter balance and is designed to have a flexible coupling. Please think of the others who will be trusting you to build a safe plane.
Most Corvairs are flying direct drive with a 5th bearing to handle prop loads. Many are flying with alloy steel billet cranks as well. They work just fine in aircraft these days using a fairly proven recipe based on hard lessons from the past.

Hard as it may be for some to understand, some folks want something different than another cookie cutter RVX. Power to the true experimenter- as long as they understand the extra work and possible risk involved. Most people who go with the tried and true will never feel the satisfaction of making something different work well.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 417.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 11-20-2017 at 11:20 PM.