VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-20-2017, 11:11 AM

I won't try to turn you off of the Corvair if building your own engine is one of the end-goals. There's lots of builder support, and its a neat way to have your hands on every part of the project. That being said, there's nothing stopping you from re-building your own Lycoming and sticking it on a 7 or 9. I did that for my latest build, and found it just as rewarding. There were several shops that even offered me the option of coming and working with their engine guy looking over my shoulder.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM

I strongly considered a -7 for my first build, but then realized how big of a project it really is. I'd rather build something quicker and easier, less time not being with my 4 year old son, which he could start helping with In a few years.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E28POWER View Post
I strongly considered a -7 for my first build, but then realized how big of a project it really is. I'd rather build something quicker and easier, less time not being with my 4 year old son, which he could start helping with In a few years.
Even if you choose to use an engine package (Viking, etc.), doing an alternative engine install in the RV-12 is automatically adding a lot more time to the build than you would likely ever imagine, so this choice will act directly against your goal.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-20-2017, 12:00 PM

In case you are interested, I have a friend who has built a very nice Corvair engine for his Turner project, but has come across an 0320 to use instead,
so the Corvair is for sale.

Quote:
I've been searching for first plane project, RV-12 is at the top of that list. The #2 plane at the moment, is the Zenith CH-650, very similar in many ways.

One of the draws to the Zenith, was the ability to use the Corvair engine.

I really like most things about the -12, except the cost of the 912S.

The Corvair is a little heavier than the 912, about 35lbs. I know there are some -12s flying with the Viking engine, which is about the same weight as the Corvair.

I'm not concerned about being LSA compliant, it'll be built E-AB.

Is anyone aware of a -12 being built with a Corvair powerplant?

The -12 is very economical, built not much cheaper to build than a -7, my #3 choice. I can build a 100hp Corvair engine for about $6k, plus engine mount, prop, etc.

Thoughts?
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 11-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The Corvair is a little heavier than the 912, about 35lbs. I know there are some -12s flying with the Viking engine, which is about the same weight as the Corvair.
You know, I've looked and looked, and never seen anything indicating specifically what a Corvair engine converted and ready to fly actually weighs. I read a long-ish blog post from WW about it, and that STILL didn't mention a specific weight, just claimed that it was "about the same as an O-200" or words to that effect. Have you seen something documenting actual weights for Corvair engines? I'm just curious. For power to weight ratio it's tough to beat a Rotax 912, but they are certainly priced accordingly.

CG on the RV-12 would seem to be a likely place to run into trouble, since I suspect the Corvair engine is longer than the 912 and probably has more of its weight farther forward. If the intent is to keep it LSA qualified, you're eating into your useful load with the extra weight. if LSA is not a factor, it seems the RV-9 might be a better candidate but of course it would take a lot more time and effort.

Just my random thoughts on the subject, feel free to ignore.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 11-20-2017, 12:36 PM

Definitely appreciate all the responses and opinions.

I wanted to build a "simple" plane as my first, hence the -12. I'm getting my PPL currently, so LSA is not required.

I'll probably design my own basic VFR panel anyway, so I'm already signing up for additional work, and it's a challenge that I like.

From FlyCorvair.com:
"The engine weighs 225 pounds ready to run. This is effectively the same as a Continental O-200. Itís installed weight is 35 pounds more than a 912 Rotax, 25 pounds more than a Jabaru 3300. The Corvair is 40 pounds lighter than a Lycoming O-235. 3,000 cc Corvairs are slightly lighter than 225 lbs. because we have special cylinders made for them which make these engine 5 pounds lighter."
Old 11-20-2017, 12:44 PM

Another factor to consider, I am aware of 5 Zenith 601/650 flying with Corvair, zero RV12. Getting the W&B plus engine mount and cowling would be much simpler on the Zenith.
Retired US Army Officer
Old 11-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
Another factor to consider, I am aware of 5 Zenith 601/650 flying with Corvair, zero RV12. Getting the W&B plus engine mount and cowling would be much simpler on the Zenith.
Actually, I think there are over 30, maybe many more than that.

I think I'll ask about W&B over on the Zenith forums. The CH650 is designed to run a 912, Jabiru 3300, O-200, O-235, etc, I wonder how they address huge differences in engine weights.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:01 PM

I am sure you are right, I just meant ones I have seen and spoke to the owner.
Worthy of note, each owner was very happy with the Corvair.

QUOTE=E28POWER;1220109]Actually, I think there are over 30, maybe many more than that.

I think I'll ask about W&B over on the Zenith forums. The CH650 is designed to run a 912, Jabiru 3300, O-200, O-235, etc, I wonder how they address huge differences in engine weights.[/quote]
Retired US Army Officer
Old 11-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Different length engine mounts. Those UL-Power's stick way out there. It works because the pilot/passenger sit behind the center of lift and the engine can be used to leverage their weight. If I'm not mistaken, on the RV12 the pilot/passenger are in front of the center of lift which means that the only way to accommodate a heavier engine is to make a SHORTER engine mount than the one designed around the Rotax. Not quite sure if that can be done.... WW has made mounts for a bunch of different airframes and would probably be the one to talk to about designing and making one for the 12. You'd want to get your order in early though (possibly even several years in advance) as it would be a lot of work and he tends to be backlogged.

As for ease of building, my 601 was not pre-punched, but easy enough for a first build. The newer ones go together much faster. Don't know how the build difficulty compares between the 6xx series and the RV12, but having seen both side-by-side, the 12 is the better design hands down (which, of course, you pay more for).

The above posts are definitely right in that designing your own electrical system and FWF layout takes almost as much time as the airframe build. It is fun, and is a different type of work than you will have been doing on the airframe which is nice.

Last edited by j-red : 11-20-2017 at 01:16 PM.