VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-19-2017, 10:57 PM

Default Corvair power

I've been searching for first plane project, RV-12 is at the top of that list. The #2 plane at the moment, is the Zenith CH-650, very similar in many ways.

One of the draws to the Zenith, was the ability to use the Corvair engine.

I really like most things about the -12, except the cost of the 912S.

The Corvair is a little heavier than the 912, about 35lbs. I know there are some -12s flying with the Viking engine, which is about the same weight as the Corvair.

I'm not concerned about being LSA compliant, it'll be built E-AB.

Is anyone aware of a -12 being built with a Corvair powerplant?

The -12 is very economical, built not much cheaper to build than a -7, my #3 choice. I can build a 100hp Corvair engine for about $6k, plus engine mount, prop, etc.

Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:01 PM

If you are sold on the Corvair, build the 601.

Larry Vandegrift
ULPower 260is, dual ECUs, dual 30 amp alternators
Old 11-19-2017, 11:14 PM

Default Corvair

I have a 3100 Corvair in an RV-3. Its a fun engine. Very smooth. Starts easily cold or hot. Never floods. Not as fast as an O-320; I get about 170 mph. About 1400 f/m climb. Speeds would be a little better if I could get the fairings finished.

Bill Newkirk
Old 11-20-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverlv View Post
If you are sold on the Corvair, build the 601.
Larry, the 650 is the modern version of the 601, which was plagued with flutter issues.

If you want to build an RV and use a Corvair engine, then I’d recommend the -9 or 9A. The weight and horsepower will be a good fit, and you’ll have higher cruise speeds and a little more usable load.

- RV12, N975G, SN 120840, Build in progress...finishing up.
- BE58, N1975G, stimulating the economy one flight at a time.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 AM

[quote=rongawer;1220011]Larry, the 650 is the modern version of the 601, which was plagued with flutter issues. QUOTE]

My bad. I had just awakened from a deep sleep. I knew he stated 650.
Retired folks sleep until 6am.

My comment should have went further in depth. I believe the Corvair package is just too heavy for the 12. And I do have a next hangar friend with a Pietenpol/Corvair package. Great sounding engine. I think you would be very unhappy with the completed project. Also, CG/loading would be an issue.

Larry Vandegrift
ULPower 260is, dual ECUs, dual 30 amp alternators

Last edited by skydiverlv : 11-20-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:53 AM

I'm not 100% sold on the Corvair, but it has a lot of positives. I would love to run the new 912iS, but my budget cannot support that. I'm going pretty low budget as it is.

I wonder how the Viking flyers addressed any CG issues. I would have to build an engine mount anyway, maybe mounting it a few inches aft might resolve that, and relocating the battery.

I really like the Zenith 650, but it's slower than advertised, and is lacking in a few areas compared to the -12. The 650 kit is only $18k, but only $3-4k cheaper when you add options that are standard on the -12.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:25 AM

Having built and flown a 601 w/ a Corvair on a tight budget, my $.02 is that if money is the biggest factor, and you're set on a Van's product, you should go with a 12 and a 130hp viking. The Corvair was a perfectly fine powerplant, and I was very happy with the performance in the low-wing zenith, but only because I opted for the largest displacement version and what I felt to be the best 5th bearing option. I fabricated many parts myself instead of buying WW versions, and still ended up around 9-10k for the engine, and a couple thousand more for the rest of the FWF bits I couldn't fab myself. Seems like that compares pretty well with the Viking pricing, but they're already set up for the 12 and you'd be pioneering new ground if you tried to mate a Corvair to one.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 AM

I don't disagree with, nothing easier than going with an existing option. However, there is a first time install for any non-factory recommended engine. That's what's so great about E-AB.

I know it's really 2-3X harder than I think it is to install a Corvair engine. I'm just not finding any really good reasons not too.

I'm probably 12 months from actually starting a project, so maybe I'll come to my senses. I'm still not giving up on the corvair idea though.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-red View Post
The Corvair was a perfectly fine powerplant, and I was very happy with the performance in the low-wing zenith, but only because I opted for the largest displacement version and what I felt to be the best 5th bearing option.
What did you see for cruise speeds with the 601? If you remember.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:06 AM

I cruised at about 115-120 mph indicated. Top speed was about 130 mph all-in at sea level. A friend just bought a factory-built 12 and sees just about the same numbers.

Last edited by j-red : 11-20-2017 at 11:12 AM.