- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Canopy Latch not reaching

Anyone having this issue? My latch is about 1/4 inch short, do to the rollers. The manual says "latch arm has been made with excessive material so that the exact location of the hook can be varied..." Problem i'm having is the latch is a bit short and the angle is about 1/8" below the point on the roll bar. Moving this forward approx 1/4" will bring the angle up, I suppose this could be bent to the proper angle if needed. And I dislike having to grind the rollers to get the roll bars to match, however before i do anything... I'm looking for any alternatives.
Thanks!

IMG_20171118_224933 by SkyPilot181, on Flickr

IMG_20171118_224922 by SkyPilot181, on Flickr

p.s. The rails are not screwed in yet, hence why the washers are not in place.

Last edited by anumerick : 11-19-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:49 PM

On my airplane, I had to grind the roller brackets to allow the frame to move forward far enough. In your situation, you could do that, or adjust the locking arm.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumerick View Post
My latch is about 1/4 inch short, do to the rollers. The manual says "latch arm has been made with excessive material so that the exact location of the hook can be varied..." Problem i'm having is the latch is a bit short and the angle is about 1/8" below the point on the roll bar.
The excess material is so you can deepen/lengthen the hook to match your installation.
Note how the end of the hook is nearly 3 times wider than the narrowest part. That is so there is extra material for you to custom trim the "reach" of the hook.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-19-2017, 08:15 PM

To get the latch piece and welded pin on the roll bar on the same plane, grind down the tube for the pivot shaft. (This assumes that the windscreen and canopy plexi are already aligned to final spec.)

Go slowly on removing material off the latch itself. I kept filing little by little until I got a nice firm over-center action where the latch sorta snaps closed.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2017
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 11-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Grinding down the rollers brackets did the trick. However it seems there's always another problem. It appears the shaft maybe too long and I need to see about shortening it.

Roller bracket fix.
IMG_20171119_214633 by SkyPilot181, on Flickr

New problem.
IMG_20171119_213611 by SkyPilot181, on Flickr
Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 AM

I ended up putting a slight "Z" bend in the latch arm itself to raise it about 3/16" to reliably intercept the post, and as others have pointed out you will need to remove material from the aft edge of the latch arm so that it will swing forward of the post and grab it. Sneak up on that dimension a little at a time.

Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 11-20-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:24 AM

I had to put a slight joggle in the latch too.

www.eaa242.org/
N194MH first flight on 08-26-12
Old 11-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your help!

Against the suggestion Vans gave, I ended up bending the latch. The latch is much less expensive than the canopy frame should I have made an opps.

IMG_20171120_153314 by SkyPilot181, on Flickr

IMG_20171120_153321 by SkyPilot181, on Flickr
Old 11-20-2017, 06:06 PM

Default Latch

When latched the canopy handle should be parallel with the centerline of the aircraft. Looks like the latch arm should be flipped over and mount from the other side.
RV9A #91137 Flying!!
Old 11-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrmiledan View Post
When latched the canopy handle should be parallel with the centerline of the aircraft. Looks like the latch arm should be flipped over and mount from the other side.
Of course, you could just drill a new hole in the steel handle so that it is the mirror image of how it is now. But then this RV would be different from every other RV in terms of which way you twist the handle to latch or unlatch. And from a human factors perspective, that's not a good way to be special. So I would vote for flipping the aluminum piece.

You can probably re-bend it so that it fits the other way up, but watch carefully for cracking as you do.

--Bob K.