- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I had something similar - vibration at lower rpm. IIRC I tracked it down to a metal part of the ramp baffle being a fraction to big - it was touching the cowling instead of the flexible material.
This is actually interesting that you had a problem here. I happen to know that I have a spot where the ramp baffle is too close. My last few flights have been without the rubber material on the lower inlets at all. The metal part actually cut the material on one side so I temporarily removed it! (Seems to have no impact on my CHTs, by the way.) In addition, where the baffle metal curls up on the side, I know it's touching the top cowl in one spot. Just didn't click with me it was a problem until you wrote this. I'll be surprised if this isn't the actual source of my vibration.

Thank you!!
Pink slip - 7/2017
RV-10 Build Log

Last edited by jwilbur : 11-18-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I had something similar - vibration at lower rpm. IIRC I tracked it down to a metal part of the ramp baffle being a fraction to big - it was touching the cowling instead of the flexible material.
Bob,

This was it. I trimmed the ramps (including the vertical portions) and went for a flight today. Vibration gone. Dialed it all the way down to 2100 and it was smooth running all the way. What a relief. That vibration has been dogging me since the start.

I must have had the cowl on and off a few dozen times since first flight. And each time I installed, I fought getting the cowl around those inner vertical baffle pieces. Amazing what doesn't compute when you're expecting a problem to be somewhere else. Not only is the vibration gone, but installing the cowl is a lot easier.

Thank you again for taking the time to post.
Pink slip - 7/2017
RV-10 Build Log