Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2017, 03:01 PM

OK, I don't want to belittle anybody's experiences with shipping. We all know how it feels to have that part we were waiting for arrive in unusable condition. It's a miserable condition.

Just for a moment, imagine this situation... You're a supplier to Boeing. It's Friday afternoon and the Boeing buyer is on the phone, mad as all heck because he believes you've shipped him damaged goods. Because this is a multi-year, multi-million $$ contract, you get on an airliner and beat it more than half way across the continent. Saturday morning you're standing on the fuselage inspecting what clearly is a damaged component, however the damage looks... familiar. You head down to the floor level, find the shipping crate and find some familiar marks on the wooden shipping crate. You locate the shop foreman and ask to see where the forklifts are kept. He walks you to the forklifts and there it is, a forklift with residue of the wooden packing crate and its contents still on the forks.

Sure enough, the forklift driver had skewered the packing crate with both forks, destroying a $100K component. Then, being not very observant, he delivered the damaged component to the shop floor and drove the forklift back to the receiving dock without even knowing he had done any damage, thus he didn't even try to clean up the evidence trail.

Needless to say, the Boeing buyer was more than a little embarrassed by this situation and apologized profusely. I managed to catch a flight and was home not long after midnight so my entire weekend wasn't ruined.

The moral of the story? Yeah, everybody makes mistakes... :-)
Old 11-17-2017, 03:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q6_9A90cUk
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 11-17-2017, 07:40 PM

Would think that a carrier other than FedEx, UPS or DHL would be better like one that does freight not packages.
As for DHL that is the worst outfit of them all, bought something on line, went from there main hub to Seattle then Portland made that round trip twice, third trip they included a side trip to Salt Lake and then back forth trip finally made it here just north of Klamath Falls OR. Only took a little over a week.
Cannot even think how bad it hurts you builders to have that happen. Parts I did order for my 3 came ok years back. Boyd in Chiloquin.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darata View Post
UPS didn't earn the nickname United Parcel Smashers for no reason. Sorry for your misfortune.
A friend of mine--an Airbus captain for them--calls them Union Package Smashers.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:45 PM

People who work in warehouses moving boxes around don't tend to hold masters degrees, be well paid, or be motivated. I worked at Purolator for a year. Warehouse jobs are pretty much the bottom of the totem pole. So one must manage their expectations. I can certainly understand your frustrations.

it was a great experience for me - it taught me that you if you don't go to school, this is what you will become. I went back to school.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:43 AM

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
it was a great experience for me - it taught me that you if you don't go to school, this is what you will become. I went back to school.
Indeed - working in the oil patch did that for me. Heck of a motivator!

Any time a package arrives intact, I'm delighted, as I expect them to be damaged in some way. I buy a lot of stuff from China directly, and I'm amazed at the fact that they get here (eventually) and are rarely damaged.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
People who work in warehouses moving boxes around don't tend to hold masters degrees, be well paid, or be motivated. I worked at Purolator for a year. Warehouse jobs are pretty much the bottom of the totem pole. So one must manage their expectations. I can certainly understand your frustrations.

A wise man once said, ďIf you find a kid stealing railroad spikes, send him to school and heíll come back and steal the whole railroad.Ē School education is not the solution to problems like this, IMHO. Education at home as children and teenagers to value others and their stuff and to work hard and be trustworthy is the solution to this. The problem is that most people donít do this any more. The executives at Enron, etc., were well educated.

As for the handling of packages, I do fully agree that the people just flat donít care, partially because of labor unions that make it difficult to be fired. I just traveled to South America. One of my bags was lost for the whole length of my trip because the handle with the baggage tag was torn off. When you check your bags back in after clearing customs, he guys loading them on the belts appear to try to be as rough as they can. No amount of pleading will make them be gentle.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:37 AM

Default what happens

I loaded trucks for 5 years and on my rv-4 and rv-7 have had 50 percent of the crates damaged. when i looked at the crates and know how i would load them in the truck. this is what happens the long spar crate is turned out on the shop floor and pushed into the trailer so it sits along the side of the trailer and you can load more material beside it when the front of the crate hits the front of the trailer it stops but the hi-lo keeps moving driving the fork into the crate ( both of my crates) my finish kits were loaded the same way but there they pushed on the bottom 2x4s tearing them off.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:04 PM

The hole in my empennage crate was so big I was surprised there were still parts inside. Old Dominion shipping is awful.

I've also noted that I've never seen a builders log that shows the truck arriving with the up arrow pointing up, and I've seen dozens of those photos.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:08 PM

Reading all of these horror stories makes me glad I used Partain for shipping from Van's! No crates, dedicated trucks, careful hand handling. Perfect.